chicky

Another Magazine bites the dust

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, slip n slide said:

playboy crapped out a few years back but they're coming back,maybe we need a centerfold of a big fish...

No ... just a PB Centerfold will do :cool:

One of the problems with any magazine is that the actual content has become less and less while the advertisements are multiplying.  It's costly to produce a magazine.  The internet is taking over their market.  

16 hours ago, afterhours said:

Eastern Fly Fishing and Fly Tyer are good reads, Fly Fisherman Mag has gone way downhill.

Those are the only ones[EFF&FT] I still get.I've had all the others over 30+ years at different times.The last couple of weeks I've been going back though Fly Tyer issues from 25 years ago and still picking up some tid-bits I've had in "cold storage".How to type periodicals still are worth the price as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to see it.  American Angler had a very good editor; I worked with him on a couple of pieces for the "Conservation" section.

One of the problems I see with print media--and one of the earlier posters touched on it--is that the stories lost most of their literary content a long time ago.  When I was young, the writers told a story.  I remember folks like George Heinold (salt water editor for Outdoor Life), Jason Lucas (fresh water editor for Sports Afield), Jack O'[Connor (shooting editor for Outdoor Life), etc., who caught you with their oipening line and educated through narrative that caught your imagination and made you want to participate in the same sort of things that you were reading about.

I don't come from a hunting family, but Jack O'Connor's writing caught my imagination, and made me a hunter, a handloader, and a student of the rifle.

I grew up in the western corner of Long Island Sound, but reading Jack Samson's book "Line Down" awakened me to the possibilities of fishing a small boat in blue water, something that I started to do shortly after law school; blue water is still where I most like to be.

Frank Woolner and Hal Lymann at Salt Water Sportsman told the story of the striped bass in a way that drew you onto the beach.  Al Reinfelder's prose was so moving that it not only taught me, but inspired me to try my own hand at writing.  Charlie Waterman made Florida fly fishing come alive.

In freshwater, you had Lee Wulff, S.R. Slaymaker II, A.J. McLean and a host of others with stories to tell.

Today, that's all largely gone.  Everyone tries to say it all in 1,200 words or less, and most of those words are written in support of their advertisers.  Writers spend less time talking about the outdoor experience, and more time just pushing gear, spending less time with the look and feel of the water in order to metion every manufacturer, and often the model number, of every piece of equipment he used, even though as a practical matter, you can get a similar rod and reel to the one that he used from half a dozen different companies.

In doing that, they were adopting a style that translated very well into on-line content, where everything is pared down to its essentials and writing stype is far less important than conveying data in the fewest possible words.

In turning their back on writing color and quality, many magazines wrote their own obituaries.

I prefer print.   Some of the FF mags I’ve read in past get a little repetitive.   Only so many times I can read about trout.   Any suggestions for northeast inshore saltwater (mostly) and freshwater fisherman ( not often enough) who fishes more with spin but enjoys fly fishing?

“There’s a magazine?” :shaky: If you know you know. 

Here in Maine the pulp and paper industry has suffered significantly with the growth of the internet. My wife’s family were all papermakers. A magazine paper plant. It’s been closed for over a decade and was the first to close. Several have followed suit. 

I like the Drake. Hence my reference above. Although Tom has increasingly commercialized the publication the contributors are anglers like you and I. 

21 hours ago, clambellies said:

One of the problems with any magazine is that the actual content has become less and less while the advertisements are multiplying.  It's costly to produce a magazine.  The internet is taking over their market.  

Indeed. That being said 'FlyLife' are still going ok. This Australian mag is without doubt the best SWFF mag bar none. I subscribe from the UK and have it sent over despite the costs. Great varied content and well written articles with minimal ads. Most are 100 pages too.

As a 20 year ad guy, I'm interested in the reaction to advertisements in print publications.  A magazine's health can be judged by ad load - generally, the more ads, the healthier the book.

Conventional wisdom (in the business anyway) is that print ads are often some of the best received - they are generally well produced and often beautiful.  I really enjoy something Nautilus does where they profile different guides - it's like a survey about their fishery and guide service, biggest fish ever lost, funny client stories, etc.  I read it like I would a feature.

Also, print ads are some of the easiest to avoid.  Perhaps turning a page is too much effort for some, but I vastly prefer it to sitting through 2 minutes of commercials or flashing web banners.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, chicky said:

American Angler RIP

I've subscribed to 6 or so FF magazine's for the last 15 years or so and I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 subscriptions now. Truth is, during the last year or so I Hardy finger through them as I get my fix online. Too bad.

That sucks. I got what I’ll guess is my last issue the other day. I always found it helpful as a newcomer. Drake and Tail. I let go. More style than substance. Places I’ll never go but cool to look at

On 6/3/2020 at 6:47 AM, JCH said:

Something you'd want to take to the beach, say, if you have two kids that are wonderful but don't understand that you work all day and won't let you get even a second to cast to the trough even though its the outgoing tide and the water's starting to move and you can see the onshore currents and the rip pretty clearly and know there are stripers stacking up in there and you're pretty sure you saw sand eels when you got there and have a box full of flies that would match them perfectly and your loomis in the car and if you could just get ONE SECOND to string up your rod and take a few casts before your son starts kicking sand everywhere and your daughter gets sand in her eye and starts crying and your wife who also works all day shouldn't be expected to handle all of that herself because she packed the beach stuff and got suntan lotion on the kids and even though you packed the lunch thats still a lot but the fish are RIGHT THERE and JFC, so you read a magazine instead.

My life in a nutshell. Made me laugh, glad I’m not the only one. Only thing is I’m 45 not 32 :banghd:

Edited by paddie