chicky

Another Magazine bites the dust

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

American Angler RIP

I've subscribed to 6 or so FF magazine's for the last 15 years or so and I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 subscriptions now. Truth is, during the last year or so I Hardy finger through them as I get my fix online. Too bad.

Sad, but it's the way things have been going for a while now. 

I got a paper catalog from Feather Craft yesterday in the mail, and I was kinda shocked in a weird sorta way. I did leaf through it though, and I think I found a few things I just can't live without :D .

It seems like the ones I like the most are the ones that get the axe first. Lost Fly Rod & Reel a couple years back and now this. 

Can we get same quality online as in a focussed mag. Not that all Mags have quality content.

We still have Ttout Mags in the Uk. But in my view most are just rags. Constructed  for people with the attention span of a Knat .

Trout and a Salmon was our quality mag . But I have  not read it in many years so dont know what it’s like now.

Mike

4 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Can we get same quality online as in a focussed mag. Not that all Mags have quality content.

We still have Ttout Mags in the Uk. But in my view most are just rags. Constructed  for people with the attention span of a Knat .

Trout and a Salmon was our quality mag . But I have  not read it in many years so dont know what it’s like now.

Mike

Still a good book imo

Feel like this is becoming much more common in all the outdoor rec sports. My snowboard magazines are disappearing like wild-fire, and its only getting worse. Also all these huge corporations like American Media Inc. doing the math and deciding its not profitable really isn't all that surprising after all. Only one still surviving in print is Snowboarders Journal and they really had to change the concept and increase price to keep afloat, aka more articles/interviews and personal stuff with less advertising. Hope to see that catch on here too!

I guess I'm just an old English major, I prefer the print. A career IT guy I look at screens all day and love thumbing through current and back issues at night. I subscribe to Tail and Angler's Journal, the latter is not really a FF magazine but I like the non-FF articles as well as the FF ones. I find the writing high quality and reading about guys who dig bait for a living, for example, is sometimes more interesting than another way to imitate a chironamid nymph. I hope they last at least a few more years, until I've lost the 50 pairs of reading glasses I have stashed around the house...

I think part of this is the type of magazine produced. By far the Drake is the most popular but imo has some of the worst amateur writing going with at least one really well written professional article but none are how to or gear related. Fly Fish Journal is very nice but its not diverse from issue to issue.

As someone who operates on both sides of the page -- reader and writer -- it's always discouraging to see a magazine go away. There's something magical about seeing your name above all those words on a page. You have evidence that all that research, drafting, editing, re-writing and more re-writing amounted to something tangible. 

That said, the vast majority of my writing these days is online, whether on my website or for brand/publication websites. It's the modern way.

Steve Culton

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mike

Fly Fisherman, Fly Rod and Reel, American Angler - I have been a subscriber to them all, but no more, either their choice or mine. 

The age of the internet and YouTube has made such magazine obsolete, especially for run of the mill how-to and location content. When we moved a few years ago, I gave away a decade's worth of those titles but leafed through them first. I was amazing how repetitious the covers became when you looked at them over that period. 

I have only two domestic subscriptions today, The Drake and Tail. I have read The Drake since it was a semi-annual, irreverent, "guide-friendly" mag. I always smirked at the cover

$5.00

$10 for bait fishermen

But you could not find it everywhere so I finally subscribed a couple years back so I did not have to go to Barnes and Noble to find it. 

Tail is newer and is the SW version of The Drake, but more modern. 

Mike makes a great point, when we visit the UK, I always find a WH Smiths or other well-stocked news agent and load up on their FF titles. If you have a well-stocked Barnes and Noble nearby, you can get a few of the UK titles there, but I have noted there are fewer now than a few years ago. Trout and Salmon was almost always around. The roster of UK fishing magazines is quite amazing given they specialize as game (trout and salmon) and coarse (carp and others) pursuits. I guess that is like the trout vs bass vs In-Fisherman here in the States, so not all that different. 

If I am not wrong, there are actually few relative upstarts over in UK as well. I have recently subscribed to The Fly Culture Journal which is a UK quarterly. You can find their online version at flyculturemag dot com.

Edited by tomkaz

15 hours ago, chicky said:

I think part of this is the type of magazine produced. 

I agree.  In general (not just fishing mags), the print titles that are thriving are those that publish long form, shelf stable, high production value content.  Anything timely (eg. news, seasonal copy) or instructive (how-tos) has moved online.  There are very few, but those that can provide an escape - think long, well-written lifestyle pieces, big glossy photo spreads - are the ones that survive. 

Something you'd want to take to the beach, say, if you have two kids that are wonderful but don't understand that you work all day and won't let you get even a second to cast to the trough even though its the outgoing tide and the water's starting to move and you can see the onshore currents and the rip pretty clearly and know there are stripers stacking up in there and you're pretty sure you saw sand eels when you got there and have a box full of flies that would match them perfectly and your loomis in the car and if you could just get ONE SECOND to string up your rod and take a few casts before your son starts kicking sand everywhere and your daughter gets sand in her eye and starts crying and your wife who also works all day shouldn't be expected to handle all of that herself because she packed the beach stuff and got suntan lotion on the kids and even though you packed the lunch thats still a lot but the fish are RIGHT THERE and JFC, so you read a magazine instead.