fishweewee

Storefront Sikhs

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I had a Sikh labourer in a crew I ran years ago . We became friends , as solid a human being you could ever ask for. Kept him  working & with me until an opportunity to go to work for the MTA , ( railroad ) became available. He was vetted with the Labourers local , had enough credits for a small pension , annuity was modest , however he was young, and would be working for years to come . I urged him to take the RR job. This was 30 + yrs ago. He is getting ready to pack it in. The world / country would be a better place with more men like him & his family . These are tough people , the Brits knew this , using many Sikhs in high security positions when the sun never set on their empire. 

27 mins ago, oneeyewilly said:

I had a Sikh labourer in a crew I ran years ago . We became friends , as solid a human being you could ever ask for. Kept him  working & with me until an opportunity to go to work for the MTA , ( railroad ) became available. He was vetted with the Labourers local , had enough credits for a small pension , annuity was modest , however he was young, and would be working for years to come . I urged him to take the RR job. This was 30 + yrs ago. He is getting ready to pack it in. The world / country would be a better place with more men like him & his family . These are tough people , the Brits knew this , using many Sikhs in high security positions when the sun never set on their empire. 

~

Met a few in my travels and they've all been solid people.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the Indian Military and Police forces, Sikhs are notably overrepresented in the upper ranks. Decent folk, screw with them at your peril.

Edited by zybathegeek

Me: reading this post

Wife: Honey, what's wrong, are you ok?

Me: It's ok babe, these are tears of joy

Sikhs are rock solid good people. I have known several throughout my life. 

No BS with them. Definitely don't want to get on their bad side.

I had a young Sikh gentleman rent my condo for almost 10 years. We became friends, as fine a person as I've ever met. I learned quite a bit about his culture and religion and i have a lot of respect for both.

His folks used to come stay with him for a month every summer. His father fought in a Sikh brigade in the British army in WWII, has the stories and the bayonet scars to prove it. One of the toughest little bastards I've ever met.

His mom was sweet, always stuffing food into me, I actually became a huge fan of northern Indian cuisine because of her.

I love Sikhs.  

As a mini-society, they are a warrior culture.

There are always exceptions but they and their history fascinate me.

They've killed a lot of mooslims for the Brits well before we got stuck in that ME quagmire.

Ceremonial daggers for all!