DoorGunner

Kicking back (Retirement)

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Was planning to semi-retire and work two days a week but took some time to think about it and finally decided to just jump in at the deep end and fully retire. After working for fifty five years straight I figure it's time to sit back and do a lot of things I want to do without watching the clock. Been at No Bones since the doors first opened and enjoyed just about all of it but seven days a week during the hot summer days does get a little old. Will still make the rigs during the winter months and will actually have a lot more time to tape new shows so my mind will still be in the game and hopefully I will keep learning more about this great sport of fishing.

Will take a little adjusting to this much free time but I will work at it real hard. Like last week my girlfriend said to me that we should take a day and look around South Jersey for a good body of water for carp fishing. My favorite fresh water fish because they are big and strong and I just haven't found any productive waters down here at the shore. She figured I'd jump at the chance but I didn't and couldn't do it. After I thought about it she asked me why and I told her. I could never afford a day to just go out and look around. With my work schedule I had to make sure I was going to productive waters and not just look around for a good spot. Always had a job to do and had to answer to someone or be on the clock. Just going to take a little time to wrap my head around the fact that I can do and go where I want every day of the week.

Just wanted to pass this along in case any of you guys decided to stop by the shop. I may be there but I will be enjoying the view and having fun. One last thing. Red visited the shop this past winter so he knows where I worked and the possibility of a second visit was enough to push me into retirement. :D    

Good move on your part. Life goes by us too fast so sit back and enjoy because you paid your dues.  I retired one year ago December at age 70 after being self employed all of my life.  I remember at times being assdeep in water and having to answer the cell phone because it might be a business call. Don't miss that at all.

If you are considering a retirement activity that requires physical action please do it asap.  Robust health is a limited duration asset.  Assume time is short.  Go for it.  Have fun.  You've earned it.

3 mins ago, Great Egg said:

If you are considering a retirement activity that requires physical action please do it asap.  Robust health is a limited duration asset.  Assume time is short.  Go for it.  Have fun.  You've earned it.

yeah most of us don't realize that time is our only non renewable asset.

Retirement is nice... Fish till 2-3AM , get up at 10AM, some exercise, breakfast, read some books, watch some sport on TV...take a walk, ride a bike , do whatever you like...just keep healthy to take as much advantage of it..

Enjoy it...everyday from now on..

Age old question, "how old do you have to be to retire"?  Answer, retirement is not a function of age, it is a function of money.

Enjoy yourself door gunner and God bless.