Hokepokey

Anyone have experience with greyhounds?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Kind of random, but just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with older greyhounds. I have a dog that I love to death. She was raced extremely heavily for years all over the south. I got her right after she retired when she was 4 and a half and she's 8 now and starting to get some soreness and swelling issues that are limiting her mobility. She took some seriously nasty falls in her last few races and I got her in pretty rough shape (broken tail, sprained ankle, ect...)The vets don't seem to have a great idea of what's going on even after x-raying her. 

I've read plenty about them, but she is my first grey/ex-racer so I'm not super experienced in this. It's hard to determine whether this is the result of wear and tear on the joints from racing or something else. Are there any greyhound experts on here?

Could be arthritis. Find another vet. There are a lot of vets out there who are clueless about greyhounds, and greys are, as the woman who runs the adoption group we got our dogs from warned me, different in some ways from other dogs. 

If you're anywhere near Philly, Penn Vet is exceptional. It's as good an animal hospital as there is anywhere in the world. It's a pain in the ass to get to, but it's worth it, especially if you have a more complicated problem. I took our old hound, Marigold, who's 12, there with dental issues just before the virus nonsense happened, and they got a vet at Penn who does nothing but dog's teeth. It's that good. 

Whatever you do, get a second opinion. 8 is old for some dog breeds, but it's not for greys -- I'd call it solid middle age (they typically live 10-14 years). Get her help, because she's still got a lot of life in her! 

3 hours ago, blastwater said:

@Belmo   He has several. 

We adopted our first in November of 2011. Since then, counting fosters, we've had 20! :hooked:

I would say that I think we need help, but the grey thing is ending: most of the tracks in Florida have already closed, and the ones that haven't have to close before the end of the year. With Florida racing gone, the number of racing greys is going to plummet faster than Wayne's self-respect. We've already talked about what we're going to do if there aren't a lot of greys that need homes. 

38 mins ago, Belmo said:

We adopted our first in November of 2011. Since then, counting fosters, we've had 20! :hooked:

I would say that I think we need help, but the grey thing is ending: most of the tracks in Florida have already closed, and the ones that haven't have to close before the end of the year. With Florida racing gone, the number of racing greys is going to plummet faster than Wayne's self-respect. We've already talked about what we're going to do if there aren't a lot of greys that need homes. 

get a poodle 

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

Could be arthritis. Find another vet. There are a lot of vets out there who are clueless about greyhounds, and greys are, as the woman who runs the adoption group we got our dogs from warned me, different in some ways from other dogs. 

If you're anywhere near Philly, Penn Vet is exceptional. It's as good an animal hospital as there is anywhere in the world. It's a pain in the ass to get to, but it's worth it, especially if you have a more complicated problem. I took our old hound, Marigold, who's 12, there with dental issues just before the virus nonsense happened, and they got a vet at Penn who does nothing but dog's teeth. It's that good. 

Whatever you do, get a second opinion. 8 is old for some dog breeds, but it's not for greys -- I'd call it solid middle age (they typically live 10-14 years). Get her help, because she's still got a lot of life in her! 

Thanks again man. I live just outside Boston so PA is a bit of a drive haha. Definitely going to look for a more greyhound centric vet. I know for a fact that my dog is the only one she's ever treated

19 mins ago, Belmo said:

Go get your face ****ed. :howdy:

12 mins ago, Hokepokey said:

I second this 

My dog could kick bofe y'allzes dogs ass