FishyAl

Targeting 40+lb fish CCC

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

This is a good thread. Part of me wants to make a psa about circle hooks if you are going to chunk or set that hook the moment that line twitches!

On 6/20/2020 at 7:05 AM, robc22 said:

Learn to bait fish properly( this means harvesting and using fresh hookbaits)........Learn how to use a conventional rod/reel.........You will catch some big fish..........This being said my friend Peter L. caught the second largest bass ever taken from the ditch on a rebel! He tried casting it with a squidder and backlashes the cast. While picking the spool a 60+ pound fish comes along and eats the plug!.........:fire: 

Are there clear advantages in the canal using a conventional setup over spinning throwing bait? I can see it being easier to control the fish and maybe there are advantages to "working" the bait on the bottom

21 mins ago, FishyAl said:

Are there clear advantages in the canal using a conventional setup over spinning throwing bait? I can see it being easier to control the fish and maybe there are advantages to "working" the bait on the bottom

big time......tons of control......I don't like braid for bait fishing the ditch........mono is much better.......but u talking 30 to 40 pound main line.........does not work well on a spinner

8 mins ago, robc22 said:

big time......tons of control......I don't like braid for bait fishing the ditch........mono is much better.......but u talking 30 to 40 pound main line.........does not work well on a spinner

Can you provide any more details on this? I always was under the impression braid = more sensitivity therefore easier to feel hits etc. A 40# main line w/ mono would be the same as 100# braid so all in all you're using much stronger line I suppose

4 mins ago, FishyAl said:

Can you provide any more details on this? I always was under the impression braid = more sensitivity therefore easier to feel hits etc. A 40# main line w/ mono would be the same as 100# braid so all in all you're using much stronger line I suppose

Braid sinks so on a slack tide in the canal it will hang up very easily. Mono is more buoyant and the larger diameter allows the water pressure to keep it up off the bottom. Braid is fine on the beach but I would not use it in the ditch.......