FishyAl

Targeting 40+lb fish CCC

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, FishyAl said:

How many years is that?

A lot. Being self employed plus living nh doesn’t give me a lot of time to fish. Plus having kids mixed in also. Doesn’t matter because my grandmother passed away 3 yrs ago and her house got sold. Started going there in 1974 when I was born. Her house was directly across from the mass maritime gym. I walked out her door I was fishing. Located in Gray Gables neighborhood. 

I don’t have a scale with me but I have caught a fair share of fish over 40” + in canal throughout a number of years.  I think the biggest was 46”. All released. I know weight has to do with girth as well but how long is a typical 40lb or 50lb fish?

1 hour ago, JimKu said:

I don’t have a scale with me but I have caught a fair share of fish over 40” + in canal throughout a number of years.  I think the biggest was 46”. All released. I know weight has to do with girth as well but how long is a typical 40lb or 50lb fish?

Re posting from @Sandbar1 a few pages back

Length, Age, & Weight Chart - STRIPED BASS ! - Main Forum - SurfTalk

1 hour ago, JimKu said:

Your average 48” fish is right around 40lb. A girthy  48” with shoulders could be 50 lbs.

Search for "Striped Bass Length Age Weight Chart" - pile of them out there, the New England one seems to be pretty good..

Regards

Puck

Ive caught a 47 inch fish that weighed 21 pounds, also caught one of the same length that weighed 37.  I think our fish in MA tend to be lighter than some in the waters south of us from my experience and what ive seen

On 6/2/2020 at 0:59 PM, Sandbar1 said:

I use this, It will give you a rough estimate that's good enough. I carry a boga too but don't like the idea of hanging a big fish off of it. it's mostly for controlling the fish when I'm in deep water or on a rock.

Length, Age, & Weight Chart - STRIPED BASS ! - Main Forum - SurfTalk

I have compared large fish whose weights are known on a registered scale to those in these charts. The charts are not accurate in my opinion. Not an argument just my personal findings

If you catch a large striper, remove it from the water, measure it every whitch way, take a picture or two and release it, what are the chances of that fish being part of the 9%?????????????????

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, SC said:

I have compared large fish whose weights are known on a registered scale to those in these charts. The charts are not accurate in my opinion. Not an argument just my personal findings

Agreed. Chart tends to overestimate weight imo. 42” fish sit around 23-25lb. 48” fish tend to be high 30lb maybe low 40. 50” fish right around 45lb. Obviously some fish are girthier than others but this has been my observation 

Edited by jmarino1432

Just now, b-ware said:

If you catch a large striper, remove it from the water, measure it every whitch way, take a picture or two and release it, what are the chances of that fish being part of the 9%?????????????????

The bigger they are, the higher it is I think.    
Best to just let it go..

Also something to keep in mind is how you measure length with bigger fish. My PB “grew” nearly 2 inches when its jaw was swung down, mouth open. If you pinch the tail, open the mouth and measure with a flexible tape a 50” fish could grow to 53”

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Is say it's chances of surviving may be 9%.

4 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

Also something to keep in mind is how you measure length with bigger fish. My PB “grew” nearly 2 inches when its jaw was swung down, mouth open. If you pinch the tail, open the mouth and measure with a flexible tape a 50” fish could grow to 53”

Then there is the up and over measurement.  Can gain a couple inches

5 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

Agreed. Chart tends to overestimate weight imo. 42” fish sit around 23-25lb. 48” fish tend to be high 30lb maybe low 40. 50” fish right around 45lb. Obviously some fish are girthier than others but this has been my observation 

Those are some anorexic fish that you're catching!

I have given up on hanging my fish by boga unless they can not be revived and are coming back home with me. But I will add that I caught a 44" that was 35#. A 43" that was pushing 40#. a 32" that was 25#, a 45" that was over 40#. I know these are extremes on the high end but its hard to say that the charts are an overestimate