FishyAl

Targeting 40+lb fish CCC

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, TonyO said:

Just go to NJ...every fish is 40#

Only if you caught it with your Instagram famous gold van staal.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, FishyAl said:

How would you target 40+# stripers at the canal? Anything different than if you were targeting 20 & 30# fish? Of course there could be a lot of factors to this like season, stage of tide, moon, location, etc. I taught myself to jig and fish the canal a few years back as I knew nobody who fished it to show me the ropes, and with a lot of trial and error(and hundreds spent on jigs) I have found a method that works for me and have a select few spots that I know are pretty productive on certain tides. Still get humbled and learn new things each trip lol. I've caught my fair share of fish in the 30s in past seasons but nothing over 34#. I understand the bigger fish generally tend to hang deep near structure and not expend energy until absolutely necessary. The spots I jig I've caught anything from schoolies to my PB. I'm wondering if jigging as it seems to work for the most part in catching fish 20-30# will eventually produce fish 40#+ and it's maybe just a matter of timing and having not put the time in or if fishing for 40+# fish might require a different method....

I have had some luck with eels but they are a hassle. However, I do know how productive they can be at times. My thoughts are if I'm catching 20-30# fish pretty consistently each season if I just keep doing what I'm doing then the bigger fish will come eventually. Anybody do anything specific to target those bigger fish or would you say the 30# 40# 50# fish relatively feed the same? Would a 40 or 50 be more inclined to inhale fresh chunk on the bottom than chasing a slow moving jig? Curious if anyone has switched up their methods to target bigger fish even if it means a more consistent skunking. I enjoy C&R fishing and am thankful for all the fish I have caught but a lifetime goal of mine is a 40+ from shore.

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,

Al

just keep putting in your time and itll come ....like most things in life..matter of right place right time...good luck and tight lines bud keep on jigging :th:

25 mins ago, willcodfish said:

just keep putting in your time and itll come ....like most things in life..matter of right place right time...good luck and tight lines bud keep on jigging :th:

Thanks for the motivation man! 

5 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

How many people here have actually caught a verified 40 pound striper in the cape cod canal?

I’ve had my fair share of 40+ fish out of the canal after years of dedication 

12 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

How many people here have actually caught a verified 40 pound striper in the cape cod canal?

I’ve had my fair share of 40+ fish out of the canal after years of dedication 

Posted (edited) · Report post

can't remeber how many 40+ers but just keep puttin youre time in . use all the fine methods the boys here give. i quit the ditch and bought a boat so . be happy keep jiggin.

Edited by fishdog13

Best advice I can give is jig jig jig untill your arms hurt and then jig more . After sunset to sunrise

Edited by Wilgabeast

5 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I've had a few. All but one came in the middle of the night. 

I'm much prouder of the high 30s bass I've taken in the boulders though.

hopefully some day someone will clue me in on how to target large bass.inall my years of fishing I have never hunted or targeted large bass.i fish for whatever size bass is in front of me.guess I am lucky because over the years I have caught more than my share of large

On 6/2/2020 at 1:53 AM, Sandbar1 said:

Oh yeah one more tip, be prepared for heartbreak. Trophy fish seem to come out of nowhere, when your least expecting it and will leave you just as quickly.....

Last fall I was only able to get home and fish MA for about two weeks. I took a bit of leave last couple weeks of October.  I think it was the second night out, I was on a pretty solid bite of cookie cutter fish in the 30" to 36" class. All on eels. I was fishing a new 9’ ODM DNA and Tsunami 6k SaltX which is a much lighter setup than I should have had in the boulders I was fishing but I was being stupid and wasn't trophy hunting. I felt the tap, bowed to the fish, set the hook and it just took of like a submarine. I could tell this was a good fish from the start, I've taken a few in the 40+ range and feel that I can reasonably judge a fish by it's fight. Anyways I was on the fish for at least ten minutes when it wrapped itself around a boulder about 30yrds ahead of me. I got in (wetsuit) and started swimming out to the next pile of rocks to chase it down and try to free it and surprisingly I actually managed to get it off the rock. I got on my new pile to continue the fight. That’s when she decided it definitely wasn't over and  took another run and the hook just popped...... I reeled it in, my lines fine, my leaders fine and my hooks fine. There’s just no bass…..

I think I just sat on that rock for at least ten minutes before I could make another cast.

Calvin, don't you just love it my friend, i love the story man, :th:, the hunt, thats what, its all about...that is the addiction,,,why we keep coming , and going Back, for more.....:howdy:...- Butch N.

Edited by lureman

Only two 40plus I’ve in all my years there. One was at sunset west tide across from the maritime on a ronz jig head rubber eel imitation. Believe it was October 1 also. Was a Saturday night went down to visit gram for a night. The other was 3 years ago last week in August when the canal was on fire all summer. Friday morning about 630 or so west tide across from the maritime. Al gags jig head mackerel body. Bob G was over at the maritime and watched me pull it in. What’s amazing was how strong those fish were for how late in the summer it was. Never came close to a fifty though. 

44 mins ago, gray gables said:

Only two 40plus I’ve in all my years there. One was at sunset west tide across from the maritime on a ronz jig head rubber eel imitation. Believe it was October 1 also. Was a Saturday night went down to visit gram for a night. The other was 3 years ago last week in August when the canal was on fire all summer. Friday morning about 630 or so west tide across from the maritime. Al gags jig head mackerel body. Bob G was over at the maritime and watched me pull it in. What’s amazing was how strong those fish were for how late in the summer it was. Never came close to a fifty though. 

How many years is that?