Jdiesel

Issue with OceanMaster

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues getting the rod to load .....or have that perfect feeling she is properly loaded? Throwing 8-n- bait with a akios F15 with 20lb mono. I have read here (SOL) that guys love them as a beginner “Heaver” or their go to,rod when needed. The specs on the rod are :

 

12'
Heavy
OSR12S
20-50 lbs.
6 - 12 oz.
2 piece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are you doing a Hatteras style cast?

Like this:

(outside of Tommy's technique of stopping the left arm from collapsing)

 

 

Edited by ZAFisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Are you doing a Hatteras style cast?

Like this:

(outside of Tommy's technique of stopping the left arm from collapsing)

 

 

 

 

Hatteras and ground casting. I know my casting is not anywhere near Tommy's by any means and would love a pvt lesson from him but, until this covid-19 thing calms down....... I do pull or drive the butt end with my left hand, pushing with my right and my left arm finishes parallel with my left leg. 

 

Watching Tommy's video I see he stops short of a follow through and more or less ( thumps ) the tip. That may be my issue, all these years of baseball and golf making sure you follow through with your swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I specifically mentioned the Hatteras style is that, it is a very fast casting style, there is very little time to get the rod to fully load.

In saying this, timing needs to be spot-on

You mentioned "that perfect feeling" it sounds like you feel the rod is only partly loading up and then you release.

You may be doing just fine of course, have you ever measured what you are actually achieving in terms of distance?

Something I like to do is concentrate on NOT pushing with my right hand, just enough to keep it from collapsing against me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy likes to stop short with his right.  He punches but it's more of a short powerful jab and he pulls hard with the left.  

 

Aside from your rod not loading, just wondering how you like the F-15.  I have one and think there is a lot to like.  It has enough mag to slow the spool down in a big head wind and enough to back off with a nice tail wind.  Set up properly I don't think you can backlash it.  

 

I am curious where the tip of your rod is when you start your ground cast?  Are you stepping into the cast or just twisting your torso?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

The reason I specifically mentioned the Hatteras style is that, it is a very fast casting style, there is very little time to get the rod to fully load.

In saying this, timing needs to be spot-on

You mentioned "that perfect feeling" it sounds like you feel the rod is only partly loading up and then you release.

You may be doing just fine of course, have you ever measured what you are actually achieving in terms of distance?

Something I like to do is concentrate on NOT pushing with my right hand, just enough to keep it from collapsing against me.

 

 


No, I have not measured out an average cast.

 

9 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Tommy likes to stop short with his right.  He punches but it's more of a short powerful jab and he pulls hard with the left.  

 

Aside from your rod not loading, just wondering how you like the F-15.  I have one and think there is a lot to like.  It has enough mag to slow the spool down in a big head wind and enough to back off with a nice tail wind.  Set up properly I don't think you can backlash it.  

 

I am curious where the tip of your rod is when you start your ground cast?  Are you stepping into the cast or just twisting your torso?   

 

I like the F15 overall all. My last outing with it we had crosswinds and headwinds at varying speeds and the reel did well. As for the tip of the rod on the ground cast, I hover just above the sand and torso twist. Kinda like in golfing ( sand trap : hover just off the sand ) and ( Driving  : feet planted, left towards water, right parallel’ish to the beach with weight shifting coming around during the cast ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the rod at all but I do know that most of the time the lure ratings on rods are not correct.  Maybe it's more like a 10 to 12, dunno just thinking....  Have your tried 10 oz?  Could also be that you are using a long rod in a headwind.  That won't help either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I don't know the rod at all but I do know that most of the time the lure ratings on rods are not correct.  Maybe it's more like a 10 to 12, dunno just thinking....  Have your tried 10 oz?  Could also be that you are using a long rod in a headwind.  That won't help either.


No, haven’t gone to 10oz yet. So far it been 8-n-bait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Can you have someone take a video of your casting?  That might give us some clues...  

 

That was going to be my next step, a video with 8oz and 10oz with measurements. Once I get a chance ... maybe this weekend , I’ll post it for constructive criticism :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, Jdiesel said:

 

That was going to be my next step, a video with 8oz and 10oz with measurements. Once I get a chance ... maybe this weekend , I’ll post it for constructive criticism :-)

Tha'ts cool, it will be interesting to see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to see (not to critcize, but to see)

Out of interest, when you get to making a video, or even before, could you hang a variuety of weights off the tip and take some photos so I could see the bend?

Say 5oz; 8oz and 10oz.

Curious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.