kayak99

A paypal question

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hope this is allowed, if not please delete

First, this does NOT relate to buying or selling on SOL but hope someone can help.  Asking about Paypal Friends and Family rules if anyone knows.  I scanned their site but cannot find an answer so I figured someone here could. 

I sold a trolling motor to a guy on Facebook marketplace (for a whole lot less than I paid for it).  I really didn't want to ship but he said he'd pay the (expensive) freight.  To save me from adding any fees he paid using Paypal Friends and Family so off it went for a 1400 mile trip.  I see the motor made it to Oklahoma but UPS now shows "Returning".  I tried to contact the buyer but he has not answered as to why, nor do I see on Paypal a request for his money back.   I can only guess at this point it was buyers remorse.  What are the rules about returning this guys money when he used Friends and Family?  I'm guessing UPS won't be doing this return for free.  TIA

Edited by kayak99

UPS doesn’t care how you paid - PayPal does. Sounds like he refused delivery - UPS may very well return it to you for free.

The way I see it to ask for his money back through PayPal he would have to inform them he broke their rules and hid a purchase . As long as your sure it’s not some kind of scam . 

12 hours ago, TimS said:

UPS doesn’t care how you paid - PayPal does. Sounds like he refused delivery - UPS may very well return it to you for free.

Wondering if he asks Paypal for his money back, will they just return it?

11 hours ago, connman said:

The way I see it to ask for his money back through PayPal he would have to inform them he broke their rules and hid a purchase . As long as your sure it’s not some kind of scam . 

Hopefully not a scam but since he will not communicate that's unknown at this point.  Tkx

Wait till the box gets back to you to see the condition.  If there is any damage he may have refused delivery.

Once you take the box, sign and open ups is no longer liable for damage. 

We deal with this every other day with composite under mount sinks and every time they tell us we took delivery and opened the box.

Can't see if the sink is broke unless you open the box :rolleyes:

Friends and family offers you no protection, so even if he wants to file a claim that it wasnt delivered or it was damaged he really can't because you have all the tracking info to prove it was.

Honestly not even sure you can file a claim under friends and family to be honest.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought I'd update this.  I learned that UPS broke the skeg and propeller during shipment and never gave the package to the recipient.  They decided themselves to return the package they had dropped back to the shipper (me) and deal with what they had done.  My problem is that I underinsured the motor but it looks like the buyer still wants it as long as I can help him get a new prop.  Fixing the lower unit with the skeg would almost be the cost of a new motor.  The skeg really would not make a difference as this goes into a Hobie Mirage drive and the Hobie will have a rudder of its own.  Our plan, if UPS cooperates, is to have them wrap and reship the motor tomorrow.  In the meantime I have contacted the manufacturer to get a new prop sent directly to the buyer and hope UPS comes thru with some insurance to cover the prop.  

Island Hopper.jpg

Edited by kayak99