ASrod

HD Wide Gap Jigheads

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

What do you all use for 6” Shad bodies? I prefer a wide gap but unfortunately some of the jigheads I’ve tried all have flimsy hooks. I like using the tsunami and storm shads but I’d like to use different profile shads with jigheads in different applications where the other ones just don’t cut it. What do you all like?

14 mins ago, ASrod said:

Because I’m lazy and I suck

Well if your set on buying ************** makes the best jigheads. Or tinmans

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Godsson38 said:

Tsunami makes a bunch of different style bodies that are heavier and lighter.

Lol I’m between a rock and a hard place. The light ones are a little too light and the heavy ones are a little too heavy for this specific application. Otherwise I use them both frequently.

Edited by ASrod

IMO, it's getting difficult to find jigs that have a really strong hook, and when you do, they may not fit all of the plastics real well. I pour my own, and have used the Mustad 34184/34185 hooks, which are about as strong as you'll find, but now not all sizes are still being produced.

I use all the brands, and the majority of the black nickel hooks are not as strong as those Mustads especially as you get into larger sizes. I make a bucktail with an underspin blade, which I've posted on SOL before, which will take either of those Mustads in 8/0, and will also take most of the black nickel jig hooks in 8/0. However, they're a lighter wire. I use the Mustad Ultra Points in it, and they're fine for plastic bodies & the fishing I do in the lake, but may not be the best choice for other waters and other plastic baits. 

These plastic shad lures, like Storm, are being made with hooks from Chinese hook makers, since the lures are generally made there. They may not be flimsy, but not as strong as they should be. That's sometimes a compromise that's made to control costs. They attempt to make a "one size fits all fish species", and we know it won't. 

Part of the problem with tackle is too many folks want it great, but also cheap in price. You may have to go custom to really get what you need, and that's going to cost you more. 

There was a discussion in the past few years about jigs & hooks. Tinman Dan has posted some great comments about the topic. I think you have to just keep looking around, and trying some different brands, until you find something that works for you. Try the BST forum here. Maybe even ask Dan to make some for you.   

Dan’s jigheads are without a doubt some of the best I’ve used. But I’m gonna need to ask him to see what he can do about a wider gap hook, I’m not a fan of those hooks that just barely make their way out of the plastics. 

9 mins ago, ASrod said:

Dan’s jigheads are without a doubt some of the best I’ve used. But I’m gonna need to ask him to see what he can do about a wider gap hook, I’m not a fan of those hooks that just barely make their way out of the plastics. 

Already done.  I had a request for shad heads with bigger hooks and decided to offer them in the Commercial B/S/T section.  Here's a link to the thread and pictures. 

The link:   https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/789074-heads-for-big-shads/

The last picture shows the standard hook size against the larger size for paddle tail shads.

fullsizeoutput_10da.jpeg.21fa7b57279a482706885cee84070fe8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10dc.jpeg.ed4c0b5818e5721aff79db2957682609.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10dd.jpeg.4a3cc655972d8221399c1b51499c03e6.jpeg

4 mins ago, ASrod said:

No doubt that's a problem with many of these off the shelf lures & jigs. That's one reason I pour my own, and have for a lot of years. I wasn't satisfied with the run of the mill stuff. 

I have some of the plastic shads with the hooks molded in that are way too small for the bodies. 

In many cases the hook size is too small, but going larger changes something with the plastics action. Can't get too large, on some of the smaller baits or the hook is out the tail end. You're seeing this I'm sure, there's not a real size comparison for jigs & the hooks, compared to the body sizes since every brand has some different measurements. 

I've been using some different brands of plastic swimbaits that I have to pour jigs with different hooks to fit them, and some of them are the same length body. 

Then, even if you was pouring your own, you find the problem that we do, that there may not be a really good hook available as a stock production product, then the only alternative is use what fits the closest, or have hooks made and that gets real expensive real fast. I know a guy who just had some hooks made, and he had to buy 50,000 of them. He didn't say what the cost was, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

I've had to go to using straight shank hooks and sinker eyes for some that I've made, just to get a better hook. That can be done with bigger jigs where there's enough lead to make them strong enough, but not a good option with lighter weights. 

If anyone would know, it would be Dan. I pour some bass jigs with the wide gap hooks, but a lot of folks don't care for them for bass fishing and I'm not a big fan. I hear the same things about the wide gap plastic worm hooks too.

I prefer to use the wide gap jig hooks for making weighted swimbait hooks instead of jigs with them, where the weight is molded on the shank rather than at the hook eye. I pour some of them on 10/0 hooks which may be a better option for you with shad bodies that don't have the jig molded in. 

For the size jigs, I can also get round bend hooks that fit the same mold that takes the wide gap hooks, and in larger sizes, but they're not really a jig that might not be a good choice for Stripers unless you're only chasing schoolies. As I mentioned, it's getting tougher to find a good & strong jig now for all types of fishing. 

17 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Already done.  I had a request for shad heads with bigger hooks and decided to offer them in the Commercial B/S/T section.  Here's a link to the thread and pictures. 

The link:   https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/789074-heads-for-big-shads/

The last picture shows the standard hook size against the larger size for paddle tail shads.

fullsizeoutput_10da.jpeg.21fa7b57279a482706885cee84070fe8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10dc.jpeg.ed4c0b5818e5721aff79db2957682609.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10dd.jpeg.4a3cc655972d8221399c1b51499c03e6.jpeg

There you go! Problem solved! :theman:

37 mins ago, ASrod said:

He has them - I bought a bunch from him

In light weights too