brentwayne

Boat recommendation 20-21’ CC under 50k

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey everyone,

50k budget CC New...

Posting here to get more eyes on it. Wife said we need to get a bigger boat than our current 1995 BW Montauk as the kids are getting older and we also want to invite another family on board to take for joy rides to islands in south jersey. 

Looking for a CC boat- not a bay boat. we mainly flounder fish and crab so nothing too crazy there but also like the ability to go shallow, want to have storage, a head and be able to fit 10 people if needed (4-5 kids + 4 adults) to run to the island and lounge. 

we looked at the Key West 189 and 203FS and we really liked the layout of the 203 FS. 189 was too small. The 203 Had lots of room and storage and seemed well built.  We liked the front lounge layout with back rests as well as the full width seating in the stern. 

also looked at sportsman boats and wasn’t impressed with the layout or quality. The caulking looked sloppy to me and while better priced, it wasn’t what I wanted. 

anyone have any other recommendations as to what else to consider or input on Key West boats?  Sea Hunt and Tidewater look nice but I don’t have any knowledge of those boats. 

Thoughts and input is appreciated. 

thanks everyone. 

Edited by brentwayne

Sailfish are nice. I had a Sea Chaser made Carolina Skiff, it was a nice simple boat. Can't go wrong with buying used though. Endless options under 50k.

Um yea, avoid used if possible unless it's got really low hours. Having a warranty and peace of mind that comes with a newer boat is worth the little bit of extra money. That said, there are tons of boats in that range. Sea Hunt, Tide Water, Key West, Robalo, Sea Fox, Carolina Skiff, scout, boston whaler, grady white, edgewater, everglades, Chawk, Parker.... on and on... really depends on what kind of hull deck layout you're looking for, price, reputation, and I would also consider resale value. 

I’ve been researching and looking for four months now.  Same budget and size requirements, but I’m going with a bay boat.  My top choice is now the Robalo 206 Cayman S - has a more shallow draft than the CC but the new models “S” are equipped with seating below the gunnel.   Another nice boat is Sea Born - a friend just went with the 22’ CC - I’m supposed to take a ride with him next week.  The Tidewater is another that rose high on my list, made in SC and around here has a very good reputation.  OH

Thanks OH!  What I have liked the best so far is the Key West 203 and Tidewater 210, although I have not seen the Tidewater up close yet.  From the looks of it, the Tidewater has a 150 vs the 115VMax on the KW and is a few thousand cheaper.  I am going to see if I can set up an apt with the Tidewater guy this weekend.

I was looking at that Cayman last night. Sweet looking boat and good luck!  Appreciate the feedback.

A 21 foot CC will get you in to skinny water and also will handle out front - depending on the boat and conditions.

However 10 people in that size boat is really not reasonable. Also a head takes up valuable space on such a small boat.

I own a 21 Contender and can't comfortably fish more than 3 adults,  maybe 2 adults and 2 kids max.

I would never want a head taking up valuable space - much less the hassle.

If # of passengers and a head are important to you I would suggest looking at a larger boat 

Additionally I would strongly suggest a newer used boat.

From the end of the summer thru Fall there are a lot of incredible deals to be found.

Pay a good mechanic to check out what you find or contact a marine surveyor 

Thanks DD. 10 people would only be for cruising- not fishing. Max fishing would be 4-5 with 2-3 being kids.  The head would be for my wife which she wants...  the ones we have been looking at seem like they could comfortably fit 8-10 people for a cruise. Keep in mind 4-5 would be kids. 

I appreciate the feedback!!!

5 hours ago, brentwayne said:

Thanks OH!  What I have liked the best so far is the Key West 203 and Tidewater 210, although I have not seen the Tidewater up close yet.  From the looks of it, the Tidewater has a 150 vs the 115VMax on the KW and is a few thousand cheaper.  I am going to see if I can set up an apt with the Tidewater guy this weekend.

I was looking at that Cayman last night. Sweet looking boat and good luck!  Appreciate the feedback.

115 on a 20 center console non skiff style and 8 people onboard?   Unless it's an extremely light boat you won't be going anywhere fast .  

I agree.  I requested a quote for one with a 150hp.  Figured that would be the smallest we would go.  Thanks for the input.

You are welcome.  I found a 2020 Robalo 206S Cayman today, its in dealer stock set up the way I want (if you order from the factory now you have to wait for the 2021 to arrive) - going to see it at 1000 tomorrow.  Same dealer also stocks Tidewater, in that boat I am interested in the 1910 Bay Max with 115 Suzuki - it may be my second choice, but I haven't found a SeaPro 208 Bay to look at yet and want to check that one out too.  I called my buddy who owns the Composite Research "Sea Born" - his is a LX-21 with Yamaha 150 and is a true CC fishing boat, not a bay boat - it has a 13" draft.  Lots of things to take into consideration (money too!) although it is fun. Good luck to you in your search.