Beachorbust

Tactics!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am wondering if you could share your collective knowledge regarding tactics for the north shore. Specifically in two types of terrain. 1) the rocks of Cape Ann, or similar. And 2) inlets.

I normally throw pencils and swimmers from the rocks, generally in all directions, including the white water up against the rocks. I also like to drift jigs or swimmers again in the outflow of an inlet.

Do any of you have different approaches when fishing these types of situations that generally produce?

Eels and more eels. 

At an outflow I also like to backswim certain metal lips and darters out way into the flow. Use a few sharp cranks to dig your plug into the current, then retrieve it painfully painfully slowly allowing it to barbarically hand and work in the current. A single retrieve can take several minutes.

Also interested to see. I've had my best luck this season casting parallel to the rocks with an SP minnow, taking advantage of shallower water with waves breaking.

Sounds like you're doing the right things. I fish rocky beaches mostly with swimmers and soft plastics. Varying retrieves until I key in on the fish. No experience with inlets/heavy currents, but would love to learn.

I generally don't have the patience (or more often, room) to back-swim though a couple votes as to its effectiveness might get me to try it.  I appreciate the responses and feel better that I am not going away against the grain.

Like everyone mentioned above cast parallel to the shore, casting into the wash when the waves crash against the rocks. I like to swim a Savage sand eel in mackerel pattern through these structures keeping my rod tip low and retrieving the jig to my feet. In my experience most of my hits come from within 15 ft of the rocks. 

Another vote for eels.  You may be very surprised at the size of fish sitting in spots you thought only had small fish.  There is one spot I fish that I thought was a nice spot for schoolies, but, not a big fish producer.  That was until some guys showed up with eels one night.  Within an hour they caught multiple fish over 34" and I was shocked.  I may even have seen a well over slot fish taken on eels from this spot (North of Boston) in the last week.

sam

6 hours ago, joe0306 said:

Live eels? How do you keep them alive from bait shop to fishing spot?

In a bucket with seaweed........then you put them into a small mesh draw string dive bag that you can hang from your wader belt. Then wade to a rock , work a eel to the top of the bag, with hook in hand just let his head out of the draw string top. Instantly hook it up from the bottom of the jaw and out 1 eye...be ready slide the rest of the eel out of the bag and begin casting to avoid the dreadful eel knot.....good luck and tight lines

One of the best videos on using live eels (No, you DO NOT whack their heads!) is by Bill Wetzel.  It's one of many posted on U-toob by SJ, the Journal for Surfcasters.