Hotrod

Reels

11 posts in this topic

What do you consider to be the best “go to” reel/reels for catching big Blue cats and flatheads? I have several Abu Rockets and Brutes already

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, Hotrod said:

What do you consider to be the best “go to” reel/reels for catching big Blue cats and flatheads? I have several Abu Rockets and Brutes already

Depends.

For all around use; in the boat, on shore, off of industrial structures, whether you are casting for distance, lobbing straight out, droppin straight down, fishing heavy cover where you can't let an inch of line out, etc...

I vote a tie with the Okuma Komodo 471SS and Penn Fathom 12/15. 

For very large live baits, especially in heavy current I like a good lever drag in the size of an Avet SX or Okuma Andros 5.

For spinners, I like the Slammer 6500lll or Clash 6000.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Apple's or orange's,,,,:shrug: I use a penn 706,,,20lb mono and a torque 5,,,30lb braid,,,,,:) but i have meet a big cat fish fisherman and he likes 1970's 80's zebco 808's but you can use anything that has some drag and holds line,,,,,,,,,,:hooked:

17 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Never actually used my Lexa 400HD for big cats, but it would function great in that role.

It's a big and power baitcaster that can handle cranking in vs resistance.

Use the round reels you already have, spend the money on gas, upgraded drags, tackle and bait!

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Use the round reels you already have, spend the money on gas, upgraded drags, tackle and bait!

Fish from shore so no need to buy gas for the boat, buy Penn Fathoms so no need to upgrade drags, catch your own bait so no need to buy bait.:laugh:

Life is good for the shore bound hardcore catter.:wee:

When I really think about it, the Penn Fathom 12 or 15 nonlevelwind is the best big cat reel you can get for the money.

I can't think of another reel that has more for the same or less then one of those Fathoms.

The Komodo is nice and every bit as tough, but is still much more expensive.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

I was thinking about trying to upgrade my abu 6500 c3 with drag and a power handle

8 hours ago, triumph said:

I was thinking about trying to upgrade my abu 6500 c3 with drag and a power handle

An Abu 6500C3 already comes with quality carbon fiber drag washers. Replacing them won't do to much for you.

If you upgrade anything get an idler wheel with a ball bearing and a level wind with ball bearings on both ends.