kayaknshore

Line Snapping during hard casts. Losing lots of $$$

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

I don't know if others have had this issue before, but I've been losing plugs when I cast hard. Two scenarios from just the last week:

1. 2oz plug casting into 15mph headwind. Hard cast (8/10 effort) using 10ft of 20lb flouro to 30lb braid. The flouro leader snapped. 

-I know, 20lb test casting a 2oz plug is pushing it. I've always heard 10lbs per oz casting as the rule of thumb (minimum 20lb leader for . 

2. 3oz spook casting with 10mph wind (from my back!!!!, this shoulda been helping take the load off the leader). I used 10ft of 30lb flouro tied to 30lb braid. Hard cast (7/10 effort)

What am I doing wrong? I've had break offs like this when I didn't use a shock leader of mono or flouro. I've been casting so conservatively now because I'm so afraid that I will lose my plugs. 

Do I need to up my leader? I rarely cast anything over 3oz. Mostly in the 1.5oz to 2.5oz range. 

Has anybody else experienced similar?

One side question, is a 10ft shock leader needed (I use 10ft so I can cast with my finger on flouro not braid)? What is an appropriate length of shock leader?

Is your bail closing? Are you fishing lots of structure that could damage your line?

When you swing back is your line wrapping around the tip of your rod?  Maybe the leader to braid connection is a bit large and getting caught on a guide as it passes through them causing just enough stress on the lighter leader?

7 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Is your bail closing? Are you fishing lots of structure that could damage your line?

My bail has closed on me by accident before but I didn't result in the breakoffs. 

I'll try to be more diligent about checking for abrasion on my leader but for my 2oz breakoff it was my second cast. On my 3oz breakoff, I tied the leader the night before and I made maybe 20 casts before my line snapped. 

6 mins ago, c7272 said:

When you swing back is your line wrapping around the tip of your rod?  Maybe the leader to braid connection is a bit large and getting caught on a guide as it passes through them causing just enough stress on the lighter leader?

I will look into if it could be the braid to leader connection but I think its solid. I use a low profile FG knot. 

If I had to guess I would agree with bad guides. I lost 6 or 7 plugs on one trip thought my line was bunk, swapped out my top guide the eyelet and provlem solved.

50 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

kayaknshore-What reel are you using that the bail closed on you?

ballistic LT 4000 

excellent reel. I would buy another. bail closing on my was my own fault. 

45 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

What is your set-up?  At what point does it fail?  Crap leader material?

9ft St. Criox Mojo. MF tip, M action. Rated 1-4oz.

Daiwa ballistic LT 4000 loaded with 30lb braid. 

Leader material is not crap, not high end. I've been using "berkeley Vanish" for all my leader. 

It fails when I cast really hard using a heavier plug. The leader snaps from the force of the plug and the cast. 

50 mins ago, Mono said:

You may be inadvertently hitting the bail.  Slow things down and analyze your cast

When you say hitting the bail, do you mean closing the bail by accident during the cast? 

The bails were still open at the end of the casts. 

6 mins ago, kayaknshore said:

9ft St. Criox Mojo. MF tip, M action. Rated 1-4oz.

Daiwa ballistic LT 4000 loaded with 30lb braid. 

Leader material is not crap, not high end. I've been using "berkeley Vanish" for all my leader. 

It fails when I cast really hard using a heavier plug. The leader snaps from the force of the plug and the cast. 

I tried Berkley Vanish before, it does not handle shock well at all. I trashed it the day I tried it.

That is your problem.

Just my opinion, use mono for a leader, it has stretch to absorb shock and most mono lines out there are very reliable.