Goldy

Simms G4 Boots vs Korkers Boots

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

For those of you that have had korkers, are the simms G4 boots that much better.  I usually fish 5 nights a week anywhere from 1-5hrs during the spring season.  The fall season, not so much.  Some places are 30 minute walk on soft sand.  I usually wear korkers buckskin and flip the soles out if I go on a jetty, or run the regular or the vibram soles.

Figure the boots are 160$, the soles separate from the omni track often when you first get them and require epoxy to attach them, (Not a huge deal, but happens on all of them), The actual boots last about 1yr, before the boot itself is completely destroyed.  You can save the soles and re-use them on another pair of boots.

So my question is, is it time to change, to the Simms G4, and will they hold up to the hours in the salt?

I will say, and have said in the past that Korkers customer service has been spectacular.   They always address any issues.  

Any help would be great

I had two pairs of G3 or G4 boots back in the day. The soles started detaching from the boot after only about two months. I bought another pair that fall and they didn’t make it to the following spring. At that time I was fishing about 5 nights a week, and about 1-2 days a week throughout the winter. I bought a pair of Korkers back in 2014 and still have that same pair of boots. They do need to be replaced now, but with my limited time for fishing this year, I think I’ll wait till next year. 

28 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

I had two pairs of G3 or G4 boots back in the day. The soles started detaching from the boot after only about two months. I bought another pair that fall and they didn’t make it to the following spring. At that time I was fishing about 5 nights a week, and about 1-2 days a week throughout the winter. I bought a pair of Korkers back in 2014 and still have that same pair of boots. They do need to be replaced now, but with my limited time for fishing this year, I think I’ll wait till next year. 

WOW, i wasn't expecting this feedback.. Curious as to what others say.. How was simm's warranty

Can't comment on Simms. Korker Buckskins have worked well for me going on  4-5 yrs maybe more. No issues, have the upgrade spikes on one pair and the aluminum bars on another. One set a size larger to accomodate the xtra material for stockingfoot waders. If you go buckskins go with the laces as the ratchet type closers malfunction when loaded  up with sand, NG.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

WOW, i wasn't expecting this feedback.. Curious as to what others say.. How was simm's warranty

Let me be clear, I bought my Simms boots back in 2011 or 2012...? I’d hope that their quality and warranty have only improved over time. I didn’t try to make a warranty claim until the boots were too far gone. Their reply was that I was overusing them in an environment in which they were not designed for. I bought another pair later that year hoping the first pair were lemons, but the result was much the same. However, I will say that the Simms boots were a little more comfortable than the Korkers. 

I don’t know how Simms warranty is today. Frankly I have never really heard of bad warranty issues with Simms ever. After a long Simms boycott, I actually bought a pair of their waders this year. We’ll see how they hold up. 

Edited by Matt7082

1 hour ago, Livliner said:

Can't comment on Simms. Korker Buckskins have worked well for me going on  4-5 yrs maybe more. No issues, have the upgrade spikes on one pair and the aluminum bars on another. One set a size larger to accomodate the xtra material for stockingfoot waders. If you go buckskins go with the laces as the ratchet type closers malfunction when loaded  up with sand, NG.

I have buckskins, I'm going to snap a few pictures of them and show you after a year of hard use what they look like.. I'm surprised i'm hearing 4-5yrs.. 

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

They last for a very long time. I did not call the warranty for my boots but when I needed them for my waders Warranty  the service was great..

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

I have buckskins, I'm going to snap a few pictures of them and show you after a year of hard use what they look like.. I'm surprised i'm hearing 4-5yrs.. 

Beat you to it Goldy, here is a pic of mine. Just use these for wet wading around boulder fields. Lets say 3-4 yrs as I don't remember exactly. Short season wet wading in Maine mid June thru Sept. Maybe that adds to better longevity, plus I'm in the lightweight division. (lol)

IMG_2494.JPG

2 hours ago, Livliner said:

Beat you to it Goldy, here is a pic of mine. Just use these for wet wading around boulder fields. Lets say 3-4 yrs as I don't remember exactly. Short season wet wading in Maine mid June thru Sept. Maybe that adds to better longevity, plus I'm in the lightweight division. (lol)

IMG_2494.JPG

9262C122-0090-49C7-A448-39DE42949967.jpeg

3FD9AC2A-8618-4E6A-861D-AA37ABCEE44C.jpeg

832AEC26-BB06-4BFA-8DE1-33084797273C.jpeg

here is mine after one calendar year.  

im in the heavyweight division

Edited by Goldy

Goldy,

More like the cruiser bruiser, rough on stuff division.  Those are beat for sure. Hope your fishing reels fair better. 

This is a fascinating post for me...I've been wearing Korker Bucksins for a few years..They've been great, but are falling apart. I've been researching the Simms G4 this week, and want to pull the trigger, just hard to stomach the $300 price tag....

I have been rocking Korkers for years.  I got about seven years out of the first pair before the sole botton on the heel seperated.  Probably fish 30 to 50 trips per year between rivers and boulder fields.  Happily bought a replacement pair this year.  These are the cheaper greenbacks btw.  Simms makes great stuff too, but i would not stray from korkers personally.

2 hours ago, Mojua said:

This is a fascinating post for me...I've been wearing Korker Bucksins for a few years..They've been great, but are falling apart. I've been researching the Simms G4 this week, and want to pull the trigger, just hard to stomach the $300 price tag....

You and i are in the same boat. 

2 hours ago, Livliner said:

Goldy,

More like the cruiser bruiser, rough on stuff division.  Those are beat for sure. Hope your fishing reels fair better. 

My VS reels hold up well.  I think the issue is im in the cruiser bruiser division and i could easily make 25 trips in april and another 20 on may alone.   They have some great warranty and the only issue i have is in muddy sections the soles get sucked off hence the screw.  

i was really thinking if i spend the $300 that would make it last two seasons.  Idk

The Simms will be the best most comfortable boots you ever own. You will really appreciate the difference if you fish long hours. Not sure about the new G4 boots but the G3 guide boots are the best boots I have owned by a long shot. Just buy them and thank me later. 

Edited by Tailslap

I had an issue with my korkers and I can say they’re warranty department is great. Not sure how Simms is but how korkers treated me I would recommend them