Market Basket dry sea Scallops $10lb

Rate this topic

52 mins ago, K Foley said:

No Bob not your location but one like it I think was like it was in lower Jackson Square in East Weymouth. Lines out the door everybody buying the same fish and chips and they would cook to order. the only thing that changed was the number of orders someone wanted. Use to drive my father nuts waiting. Every once in a while he would say to them why don't you just cook up a pile of fish and fries and do it that way and they would tell him they don't do it like that. It was the best I'd be stuffing my face with fries all the way home. Not sure of the spelling Robars was the name near the herring run that ran through that area.

Back in those days, it's was the Catholics that were an intrical part of the calculus.  If you recall, that was in the old Catholic fish on Fridays days. Those local fish n chip places thrived. Then along comes Vatican II, and that put the kibosh on many of those places.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Back in those days, it's was the Catholics that were an intrical part of the calculus.  If you recall, that was in the old Catholic fish on Fridays days. Those local fish n chip places thrived. Then along comes Vatican II, and that put the kibosh on many of those places.

Yep. I still do fish on most Fridays and always during lent. It's a "treat" for me not a sacrifice for sure. I'm afraid my mother would stike down from above with meat on Fridays during lent.:p Way back then I believe the fish and chips were 50 cents and a large serving too.

3 mins ago, K Foley said:

Yep. I still do fish on most Fridays and always during lent. It's a "treat" for me not a sacrifice for sure. I'm afraid my mother would stike down from above with meat on Fridays during lent.:p Way back then I believe the fish and chips were 50 cents and a large serving too.

Back in those days the fish n chips were so cheap, people were suspicious be of it. My father was the paranoid doubting Thomas type.  He was convinced the fish at that price wasn't haddock, but rather some rotten, worm infested crap they were palming off on unsuspecting people.  His son sure enjoyed it.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Ah yes, Bob.  Waldo Street Police Headquarters and the Vernon Yacht Club.....know them both well.

I'm sure you also recall, The Rialto, Messiers Diner, Maurices and Ciberowski's Insurance Agency down by the Blue Ribbon.

BTW...did you know they reversed directions on Harding and Millbury Streets?   Harding is now inbound, Millbury outbound.  No doubt in anticipation of the hordes that will travel to the new baseball stadium and the revitalized Kelly Square area.

43 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ah yes, Bob.  Waldo Street Police Headquarters and the Vernon Yacht Club.....know them both well.

I'm sure you also recall, The Rialto, Messiers Diner, Maurices and Ciberowski's Insurance Agency down by the Blue Ribbon.

BTW...did you know they reversed directions on Harding and Millbury Streets?   Harding is now inbound, Millbury outbound.  No doubt in anticipation of the hordes that will travel to the new baseball stadium and the revitalized Kelly Square area.

I was by Millbury Street the other day. I saw the reverse direction.   Messiers Diner was high dinning in those days. As was Charles Restaurant.

Now think back Joe. Almost directly across from Ciborowski's Ins Agency was Uncle Tom's Tavern.   That was where my dad landed after he was released from the German Luft Stalag in WWII.  Got a job as a bartender, and lived in a room upstairs. When his brother Bill ( my uncle) returned from the war in the Pacific, that's where first met after not seeing or hearing from each other for years.

The Sultan of Sluggo

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

Were you ever there Kevin?

Joe will verify it. Locals lined up out the door, on the sidewalk of Millbury Street.  Every Friday an endless stream of people walking out the door clutching greasy brown bags loaded with slabs of fried haddock.  Worc cops taking multiple orders back to Waldo Street. Firemen taking the same back to the station. People climbing into cabs taking orders back to each family on all three floors of their three deckers.  Old timers would take their order, and walk 50' down the street to wash down their dinner with an adult beverage from the Vernon Yacht Club.

A different space in time for sure.

Bob G

That sounds like Connies F&C on West Boylston Street! Hands down it was the best fried scallops and F&C.

When it burnt down that fire lasted forever.

Had their scallops last night. Ate one right from the container and it was great, super sweet and fresh tasting. Used the rest for scampi, and they were just okay when cooked, lost a lot of the flavor. And no, I didn't over-cook them, were in the pan no more than 2 minutes if that.I should have just served them raw drizzled with garlic/lemon/herb butter.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

On 6/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, Joe G said:

Yep.  I'm guessing the reason is that very few folks know about taring.....and if they did, few would care .

I can assure you that the State Division of Standards cares.

Our scales are not as fancy as those described here. We can only program a single automatic tare value per item. So the most common package container gets the auto tare. If a smaller or larger container is used the tare must be adjusted manually. 

I'll have mine on the rocks.