June 2020

Rate this topic

ASrod

I went out Monday, mainly just to run the boat.  I invited my neighbor's son to come along as I learned recently he likes to fish.  I did my best I to set expectations low as I haven't fished much since having kids 15 years ago.  I'm also out of touch with the feeding pattern of the fish in the bay as this was my first fishing trip out this year. 

We launched just off of the Gunpowder and made our way south to a "knoll", I was thinking structure and current.  There were a couple of boat anchored up on the north and east side, so I tried a few drifts on the west side casting jigs - nada.  Another boat showed up a few minutes after we arrived so we picked up our lines and went south to fish a "bridge".

Found some structure with good outgoing current and managed to pick up a few stripers.  Below was the biggest.  I was quick to unhook, get a photo, and release, so I didn't measure, but it was a solid mid 20s" fish.  The fish didn't start hitting until we switched from opening night to chartreuse colored bass assassins.

All in all a great afternoon on the bay; especially considering my expectations.  Good luck!

IMG_4069.jpeg

Soooooo much bait but so few fish willing to take a plug. I’ll try a couple more times before I hang up my striper gear until September. Honestly just want to put a bend in the new rod.

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

10 hours ago, ASrod said:

Soooooo much bait but so few fish willing to take a plug. I’ll try a couple more times before I hang up my striper gear until September. Honestly just want to put a bend in the new rod.

I would keep at it.  They are there all summer you just need to downsize your offering.  Freshwater size rods and lures and try to figure out summer water places like sod banks

I fish fine

look stupid 

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I would keep at it.  They are there all summer you just need to downsize your offering.  Freshwater size rods and lures and try to figure out summer water places like sod banks

I know the schoolies are around but the fish is like to catch probably won’t survive a release on the warm water temps. I’ve heard some really good reports from the bay though.

I've been catching a few good specks at my spot off the Mobjack by my house. Minnows, and white gulp.

I fish from the backs at usually high tide. Got a 22" just this morning on minnow from the trap on a bottom rig.

Edited by Borsig

On 6/15/2020 at 0:19 PM, danta said:

thanks for the report.looks.i didn't catch much satiurday at solomons.few small ones.

I heard some excellent boat reports from the river this past weekend. Almost has me wanting to take the kayak out.

13 hours ago, ASrod said:

Last night was awful. Water was chocolate milk and wind was pushing seaweed everywhere. On the flip side, I’ve been catching eels just about every time I check my minnow trap today. Guess I’ll keep some for a rainy day.

What are you using as bait? Im looking to catch some eels too.

Shimano Stratic Ci4+ 4000/St Croix Premier 7ft 

Shimano Stratic FK 5000/St Croix Triumph 9ft

Shimano Saragosa 6000/St Croix Mojo Surf 11ft