MC55

June Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

824 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Topwater fun with cocktail blues on light tackle out back in OC this morning.   Also got a short fluke.

Edited by GeoffT

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, SIC34 said:

The false rip and north beach are closed 24/7 right now. They have rangers on patrol when the lifeguards leave. All access is clearly marked, various lots are closed throughout the park. It's on the website. 

Thanks man. I just called. The lifeguards aren’t on duty until Friday so I’m good. Fishing the beach part is allowed.

Edited by Sevendust111

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Knocked out of the box right off the bat! Switched beaches and got some bugs, with some help from SOLer Jeff. While digging got spiked in my right leg, in an area by the jetty. Started bleeding and I stayed in the water to see if it would stop. Finally did, but there was some pain and a little swelling. Decided to go home, clean it out, and wait to see if it became inflamed or swelled. Fortunately, minimal swelling. Pain didn't last long and wasn't severe. Based on what I can see, its even possible it was a crab that caught it at a certain angle and drew blood. Never a dull moment in my world.

Back at it later today, but wont be digging bugs in that particular spot!  :shock: 

good to run into you this morning Bob; glad the ankle is ok - after you left I was a little tentative for the first few hand-digs for bugs there...ya didn't miss anything - it was a beautiful but unproductive morning here.

59 mins ago, fishless said:

@adams54 all the best for a safe and healthy delivery.  

Best of Luck.. Let me know if you have a boy (sorry wasn't paying attention) I have some stuff I can surely give away

On 6/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, nam1969 said:

I use whatever I dig up. Most are hard shell, with softer ones mixed in. Unlike calicos, the bass don't seem to care if the bugs are hard or soft. 5/0 circle hook. Split shot 12 to 18 inches up the leader. That's it.

One bug per hook, natural looking, or do you load a few on to fill the 5/0?  

My son wants to try fishing them, he only likes to use what he can find locally (love this kid!).  Coming up empty on the mummichogs, so Sandcrabs are a perfect fit.     

We've been adding a big sandcrab onto a 1/2 oz  jig head or bucktail (like a gulp) and jigging it, but so far nada.  very light splitshot? 

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Knocked out of the box right off the bat! Switched beaches and got some bugs, with some help from SOLer Jeff. While digging got spiked in my right leg, in an area by the jetty. Started bleeding and I stayed in the water to see if it would stop. Finally did, but there was some pain and a little swelling. Decided to go home, clean it out, and wait to see if it became inflamed or swelled. Fortunately, minimal swelling. Pain didn't last long and wasn't severe. Based on what I can see, its even possible it was a crab that caught it at a certain angle and drew blood. Never a dull moment in my world.

Back at it later today, but wont be digging bugs in that particular spot!  :shock: 

Wish you a speedy recovery ... could have been a crab but it's hard to imagine a crab being able to get a good enough grip on your leg to be able to cut it. Can't think of anything else either :(.

Out back cmc yesterday morning 530-630. Nothing at the first spot. 2nd spot had a couple of nibbles but only ended up snagging a 7" croaker by the jaw. 

Hit another spot after work 6-730pm. Tide was about 2ft over the sod banks from the afternoon high. Got 5 short flounder, 1 footlong, rest 14"-16.5"

Might get out again today depending on the possible afternoon storms. 

On 6/29/2020 at 7:32 PM, BobBass said:

Fishing my whole life and I never jigged for kingfish- what trailer/bait was on the jig? I do hi/low little circle hooks or be lazy and buy the pretied marathon kingfish rigs 

So much fun.  

I use a dropper loop with a #4 aberdeen or a 1/0 dropshot hook about 16" up from a light 1/2ozish kastmaster or bucktail.  Bigger gulp on the bottom, sliver of bloodworm, fishbite, 2" powerbait minnow, small sandcrab or kingfish intestines on the teaser loop.  

Much more fun than a kingfish rig, and can vary retrieve for fluke at your discretion.  

My son calls it a Donkey Rig for some reason, so now I do as well. 

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

One bug per hook, natural looking, or do you load a few on to fill the 5/0?  

My son wants to try fishing them, he only likes to use what he can find locally (love this kid!).  Coming up empty on the mummichogs, so Sandcrabs are a perfect fit.     

We've been adding a big sandcrab onto a 1/2 oz  jig head or bucktail (like a gulp) and jigging it, but so far nada.  very light splitshot? 

Thanks in advance

Medium splitshot and leave about a quarter of the hook exposed. I generally put 3 bugs on.

Same spot this AM MoCo, 60 min sunup. Perfect conditions, beginning of dropping tide. First cast curse strikes again. Drifted bugs with a 3/0 circle. Immediately hooked up and took drag(reel rinsed off and inspected thoroughly when I got home last night), so no drag issues. When I went to get the hook out, I noticed it was gut hooked. I thought that was the whole point of circles...erg! Anyway, a nice chunky 26”. Had to cut the line and of course didn’t have extras or pre-tied rigs. Thankfully another local helpful angler(Gary) had an extra rig. Next cast fish on for a few seconds again, took drag but the line broke off...Re-tied with a crab jig but no taps for the rest of the outing. Back at it this evening.