June Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

MC55

Last time, I saw little seed clams was on the beach at the tideline in Sea Girt circa 2007.

I pick a random spot where the water was keeping the sand wet and scoop a handful of sand to find maybe a dozen baby clams that would dig back down when dropped on the beach,.  They were about a little smaller than my pinkie nail.

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

I've mentioned the lack of calico crab sheds on the beach. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I can't remember the last time I saw a starfish! Clams disappeared some time ago. It just never hit me that I hadn't see starfish in some time! The only constant has been the sand bugs and they are prolific.

Head south for starfish Nam!

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/thousands-starfish-wash-up-along-myrtle-beachs-grand-strand/RZNP2VD2DBB23CDBF4GQ5456TQ/

Thousands of starfish wash up along Myrtle Beach’s Grand Strand

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

I've mentioned the lack of calico crab sheds on the beach. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I can't remember the last time I saw a starfish! Clams disappeared some time ago. It just never hit me that I hadn't see starfish in some time! The only constant has been the sand bugs and they are prolific.

Calicos were munching on my sand fleas yesterday, no starfish....

Tried this evening in bay for about an hour round 6. Good size pods of bunker..nothin really on em. Skunk. Amazed by the the shutoff post june 1st on the bayside. Transitioned to out front and have had more luck but still hit the bay occasionally. water has been weeded up back there it seems for weeks. . 

Edited by joefishnj21

16 hours ago, Goldy said:

Congrats.  You will get bigger sharks at night for sure. And since you are south you are in the right spot. Check out the nj shark thread in the main forum. @Wampire is our resident shark expert. Maybe he can lend some tips for you and your kid.  

Like any other fish, the big guns come out at night haha. Thanks for the tip. Not really in a place in my life where I can fish at night. 4-5 foot sharks are plenty big for me haha and the 3 foot ones are perfect for my kid. Really just needed something to catch during the day during family beach days. I will definitely check out the shark thread.

Edited by Sevendust111

Tried the same spot out front today MoCo. Another beautiful evening with a double rainbow over the ocean. Great clear water and suds again. Let me start by saying when I first got to my spot to scoop bugs a wave knocked my rod off the rocks and it took a swim. Took a couple of minutes blowing sand out of it. It seemed ok and started fishing. Well all of a sudden my line gets whacked and start fighting for a few seconds and my line snaps. I realized the fish didn’t take any drag. I test my drag and it is not moving. I go to adjust the drag and hear crunch crunch. A realization that I never checked the drag after my reel took a dunk...erg! Lost 2 more fish because of the drag issues...had enough and took a walk back to the car to get another setup and rinsed the reel in the shower station. Got another setup and ended up getting 1 on a teaser. At least no Skunk and another lesson learned.

18E9E9E4-EBA2-409D-8AF4-6347A2765C93.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

Does anybody know if a certain way NMOCO beach in the “North” is still closed off cuz of the birds? Last time I went you could only fish the beach itself but I am pretty sure the lifeguards are on duty now and I am not sure if there is going to be any access. My kid is dying to go again and we were gonna go today. But I don’t want to take the 10min walk just to turn around and have him super upset.

Edited by Sevendust111

Knocked out of the box right off the bat! Switched beaches and got some bugs, with some help from SOLer Jeff. While digging got spiked in my right leg, in an area by the jetty. Started bleeding and I stayed in the water to see if it would stop. Finally did, but there was some pain and a little swelling. Decided to go home, clean it out, and wait to see if it became inflamed or swelled. Fortunately, minimal swelling. Pain didn't last long and wasn't severe. Based on what I can see, its even possible it was a crab that caught it at a certain angle and drew blood. Never a dull moment in my world.

Back at it later today, but wont be digging bugs in that particular spot!  :shock: 

5 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Does anybody know if a certain way NMOCO beach in the “North” is still closed off cuz of the birds? Last time I went you could only fish the beach itself but I am pretty sure the lifeguards are on duty now and I am not sure if there is going to be any access. My kid is dying to go again and we were gonna go today. But I don’t want to take the 10min walk just to turn around and have him super upset.

Closed, no access at all. NPS website is up to date and plenty of signs along the walk to confirm.

9 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Can I fish the actual beach after 6 when the guards leave?

The false rip and north beach are closed 24/7 right now. They have rangers on patrol when the lifeguards leave. All access is clearly marked, various lots are closed throughout the park. It's on the website. 

• Sudsy locked this topic