MC55

June Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

824 posts in this topic

47 mins ago, Goldy said:

Mike, have you ever used a light jig head to replace the split shot to float your bugs?  

Never have.  I want the bugs to move around freely with the current.

28 mins ago, MC55 said:

Never have.  I want the bugs to move around freely with the current.

Isint that what the bobber offers in my suggestion?  Split shot to keep the leader straight up and down and the bobber carries out in free spool thru the rips.  Works great.  When u see me say hi.  That is if you dare be seen with me. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, fishless said:

Isint that what the bobber offers in my suggestion?  Split shot to keep the leader straight up and down and the bobber carries out in free spool thru the rips.  Works great.  When u see me say hi.  That is if you dare be seen with me. 

Instead of a split shot maybe a weighted float would work? Less weed catching? 

edit: I guess the bug wouldn't be presented low enough without the split shot

double edit: now when I'm digging for bugs for kingfish bait everyone is going to accuse me of hopping on the bugwagon :rav:

Edited by BobBass

40 mins ago, BobBass said:

now when I'm digging for bugs for kingfish bait everyone is going to accuse me of hopping on the bugwagon :rav:

It's been around for a while just nobody realizes what they are standing on.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the holy grail of summer striper fishing out front would be if someone could merge the MC55 bug drift technique with Doorgunner slip bobber technology. Such fish probably wouldnt count.

Edited by adams54

Funny I was slip jigging the Kingies this morn! Switched to Fluking 1/2 oz jig with gulp teaser, caught a monster Kingie on the jig. Thing slammed it! 171/2 “ Northern Kingfish DELISH on the dish! Hello Summer. No pics do to wading out to the bar! The amount of bunker out front is insane.

15 mins ago, libertyminded said:

Funny I was slip jigging the Kingies this morn! Switched to Fluking 1/2 oz jig with gulp teaser, caught a monster Kingie on the jig. Thing slammed it! 171/2 “ Northern Kingfish DELISH on the dish! Hello Summer. No pics do to wading out to the bar! The amount of bunker out front is insane.

Fishing my whole life and I never jigged for kingfish- what trailer/bait was on the jig? I do hi/low little circle hooks or be lazy and buy the pretied marathon kingfish rigs 

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Nobody wants to be seen with you.... See ya on Thursday 

Well I popped my cherry on bugs this evening. MoCo 60 min, top of the outgoing tide, beautiful clear water and surf. Light SW wind. First couple of minutes I hooked up and lost a fluke at the lip. Then for most of the outing I was trying to untangle my line. In my haste I forgot my pliers in the car. Thankfully a fellow angler named Tim(I didn’t ask if he was an SOL’er), lent me his knife and I was able to re-tie. Next cast I was on with a bass.

i used a 1/2 oz crab jig with bugs. The tangle was because I tried to be cute with a dropper loop and a circle hook. Lesson learned. Hopefully going to hit it again in the AM. Definitely a cool feeling. Patience is the key.

Thanks to @MC55 @nam1969 and the rest of the group for all their advice and feedback. 

51940361-0567-436B-98D2-326A42B7C98B.jpeg

1 hour ago, BobBass said:

Fishing my whole life and I never jigged for kingfish- what trailer/bait was on the jig? I do hi/low little circle hooks or be lazy and buy the pretied marathon kingfish rigs 

4 inch white swimming mullet! New personal best! Lotsa 16” fluke..

Late report from last night.  Fished MoCo end of the outgoing and first few hours of the incoming.  Was a hard sweep right to left washing in front of the rocks nicely.

First few casts ended up snagging a skate.  Managed (2) small flounders on the teaser right at sunset.  Sat for about 1/2 hour as a storm just south was producing some local lighting.  After things cleared out landed (2) bass in the dark and dropped (1).  All fish were caught right at the lip. 

20200629_055224.jpg

20200629_062113.jpg

My mom has a little trailer house off one of the islands in south jersey. Been going there for over 15 years but never really fished it until last year. My kid and I had a blast down there with the kingfish but they don’t seem to be in consistently yet. My dad used to fish the local inlet and jetty but all my wife wants to do is family beach days. Like I said in a previous post the fishing out front is tough. Flat, no structure, multiple sand bars. After a few weekend trips with slim pickings, we were ready to pack it in but we kept seeing people target smaller sharks so we thought we would give it a whirl. Got some mackerel, soaked it in bunker Fin-Essence, and promised my kid we would catch one by the end of the summer since we are gonna spend a lot of time down there. First day, we get a 3 foot and 4 foot brown shark. Second day we got 2 more about 3 1/2 feet. This was our biggest, measured just over 4 feet...

D9B52C7F-2F3A-4360-9469-E7E6B327E828.jpeg

6 hours ago, Goldy said:

Mike, have you ever used a light jig head to replace the split shot to float your bugs?  

I have a couple of times when I managed to break a rig off on a few occasions. Even when it was on, I never did as well on the jighead.

Was doing well floating bugs today but broke off as I landed a fish and didn't have enough line to retie so I tried the jighead and I wasn't able to buy another bite.

What MC55 just said is the key. Having them drift and float around is what you need them to be doing.

Went down for an hour just before dark looking for kingfish, no luck

In my defense I was extremely distracted by a photoshoot on the beach featuring a blond goddess in a tiny string bikini that set up right next to me.

8 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

My mom has a little trailer house off one of the islands in south jersey. Been going there for over 15 years but never really fished it until last year. My kid and I had a blast down there with the kingfish but they don’t seem to be in consistently yet. My dad used to fish the local inlet and jetty but all my wife wants to do is family beach days. Like I said in a previous post the fishing out front is tough. Flat, no structure, multiple sand bars. After a few weekend trips with slim pickings, we were ready to pack it in but we kept seeing people target smaller sharks so we thought we would give it a whirl. Got some mackerel, soaked it in bunker Fin-Essence, and promised my kid we would catch one by the end of the summer since we are gonna spend a lot of time down there. First day, we get a 3 foot and 4 foot brown shark. Second day we got 2 more about 3 1/2 feet. This was our biggest, measured just over 4 feet...

D9B52C7F-2F3A-4360-9469-E7E6B327E828.jpeg

Congrats.  You will get bigger sharks at night for sure. And since you are south you are in the right spot. Check out the nj shark thread in the main forum. @Wampire is our resident shark expert. Maybe he can lend some tips for you and your kid.