MC55

June Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

824 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out front OC. Amazing north current, very clean water. Saw 6 whales driving bait towards the beach, where the blues were waiting. Caught three cocktails on this popper. This one Was unlucky with that back hook and is going to be a gift for my dad. The rest were good to release. I dropped something much bigger-peeling drag. But overall fun morning

AAF4CEAF-23CF-40E5-99AA-E9B1CFC65F05.jpeg

Edited by BobBass

SoMoCo predawn to sunup, top of the tide into outgoing. Westerly wind, water clean, flat and some white water. 1 fluke tap at the lip and that was it. Saw the whales go. Got exciting the last 10-15 min while using a rebel minnow and a nice sized bass was doing aerials at my lure. Breached 6 times. I kept at it but just couldn’t connect. Saw a fly guy connect twice to something small and silvery. I assume they were cocktail blues or shad. 

Moved a little south of where I was yesterday.  Bunker were starting to show again just off shore as the sun got higher.  With all that bunker around there sure doesn't appear to be anything feeding on them.  Way way off shore one whale breached but that was it.  Did land a couple of big hickories and a small striper with lots of sea lice.  Maybe they are starting to move inshore.  Had something on using the bugs but whatever it was it managed to find something to snag onto and broke off.  Things are still way to quiet.

DSCF2996.JPG

Epic morning at least for me. Headed to OC out front looking for stripes or bigger bluefish. Top of the tide at sun up. Around 6 started picking up pretty decent size shad. Landed 15-20. Lost count after 10. Also picked up a fluke around keeper size. Had another smaller one and a sundial. One cocktail around 3-4 lbs. Many hits and dropped fish. Probably shad. A large cloud of big bunker finally got within casting distance but there didn’t seem to be any fish on them. Was snagging them like crazy. Even tried the snag and drop a couple times but no takers. Lots of dolphin and a humpback made an appearance pretty close in. Didn’t catch what I was looking for or anything of great size but still a lot of fun on the Tica Dolphin. Clean water with a West wind. An awesome morning!

Fished OC in the back west wind no fish.  Headed to the beach, bunker all over with some small fish chasing, until the whale showed up and the porpoises were all feeding.  They put on a nice show but that was it... bunker all gone!

Nice seeing some action to the south in the reports. Was out in RB in the kayak and got 67 degrees with the outflow. Dirty water still. Kept a few fluke for the table tonight but just not seeing the bait that should be around on the fish finder. Will try walking some sand and try out front as I have been neglecting my surf casting this season. 

Took my 6 year old out for some fresh air and a skunk session. Told her there are more important things in life than catching fish. I dont think she bought it, but it is good to set her expectations low since the skunk gene will be strong with this one. 

20200526_140012.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Took my 6 year old out for some fresh air and a skunk session. Told her there are more important things in life than catching fish. I dont think she bought it, but it is good to set her expectations low since the skunk gene will be strong with this one. 

20200526_140012.jpg

This is fantastic.  Along the same lines, I always blame my dad for making me a Jets fan...low expectations reign.  

Edited by beerspitnight

Well, I guess my Spring is over, going to be hard to beat this one. Got tired of small blues so I took a walk out on some rocks, and found this guy, must have escaped from someone's  aquarium. 1/2 oz. Jig, 5" tail, make the fish 8"?

20200601_171603.jpg.0a37d14ddba286aef8334c862b3f6822.jpg

2 hours ago, adoboboy said:

20200526_140012.jpg

2 hours ago, adoboboy said:

20200526_140012.jpg

Sorry. Hit the wrong button and posted before I typed!

Great to break them in early. My daughter was an avid fisherman. My son wanted nothing to do with it! Go figure.

4 mins ago, Ed White said:

Well, I guess my Spring is over, going to be hard to beat this one. Got tired of small blues so I took a walk out on some rocks, and found this guy, must have escaped from someone's  aquarium. 1/2 oz. Jig, 5" tail, make the fish 8"?

20200601_171603.jpg.0a37d14ddba286aef8334c862b3f6822.jpg

My God, Ed! You're lucky he didn't snap your pole in half! Glad you had 30 lb braid on. 

4 hours ago, adoboboy said:

20200526_140012.jpg

Awesome picture.

Quick trip plugging out back up north 5-7pm .... water was clean but a quick look through binoculars and I saw the middle of the bay is still brown but hopefully a few

more tides will clear it out. I got skunked. Noticed no bait... generally dead. Didn’t see a single fish caught. This time last year I was hammering blues in that area. I know a few miles to the east the fishing has been much better. 

8 hours ago, adoboboy said:

20200526_140012.jpg

Good technique, concentration, the kid will probably pull out a 50lber one of these days. Cherish it they grow quick.