luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - June 2020

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Summer is upon us, beach is restricted per usual again, but there are still some fish coming through, good luck to all.

Cabin fever got me, restriction was relaxed so to the beach we went. It was a nice day to be in AI today. We caught our first skate of the year, followed by DOA float with a jig head. A little later we reeled in a white 10-15lbs braided line about a hundred yards long, was safely disposed of. The finale was a nice kingfish that steals bait just before the wash. I’m getting rusty catching these kingfish. Not seeing much of the sand fleas we used to see. A flea per shovel, we use a toy shovel for fleas. After collecting plastic trash we left before high tide due to nature’s call, visitors’s center restrooms are out of service. At the mouth of OSV exit there was a rookie  OSV user driving a Subaru & got stuck, I advised the driver to air down. He said “what was that?”, I had to explain, his gf replied by saying “that makes sense”. The guy continued driving while the re-enforcements friends tried to push the car till it digs down deeper. Left the beach with 80 vehicles, plenty of social distance between car. Hope all is well to all.

Stay safe everyone!

SF

Was at Assateague today. Several small blues. Bait stealers taking the ends off last years mullet I netted. 
Nice day to be out and the wife got to see 6 Ponies. 

16 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

We went out Saturday morning, before dawn. Did not get a single bump, not even rays.

Went Sunday morning and the same result.  Not even crabs to steal the bait.  Still enjoyed the fresh air and tons of pelicans and osprey to watch.  

Surf Report for Wednesday, June 3rd, Outgoing tide.

Kingfish/Whiting are here, not hoardes, but a steady pick throughout the morning.

Caught a 12" croaker, definitely the earliest Ive caught one, at least off the beach.

A small ray fought like a drum to keep things exciting.

Crowds were tolerable before 11 am. By noon, we decided to leave.

Posted (edited) · Report post

DSSP. I just got back from the Delaware shore. spent two great days surf fishing. Day one Water was like real calm. Cought 3 blowfish, 1 nice size whiting, 3 skates and one big mother of a cow nose ray. Thing had to be about 40 to 50 lbs. Took 15 minutes to beach him. He and the skates went back in. 2 nd day, skunked, BUT! I feel a tug on my 9' rod with the 12# mono on it. I start reeling and it feels like dead waight is on the line, get it in close and see thats it a line with a sinker it . I untangled it , and was going to put it back in the water when I see a rodhandle about 20' out. I pulled it in and it was a cheap combo. Shakspeare Alpha 9 ' MH, with a Quantum 40 on it.Rod was like new shape, reel I'm still soaking it and sand is still coming out. if I can get the reel to work, I'll give it to my grand daughter, Or I'll get her another reel for it. Tight lines

Edited by hunter123

4 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I pulled it in and it was a cheap combo. Shakspeare Alpha 9 ' MH, with a Quantum 40 on it.

I have probably pulled in a dozen rods in my lifetime. If my memory serves, every single one was the least expensive Shakespeare or Silstar available at the time. 

Statistically, my next two should be a St Croix and a G Loomis  :)

There is one of my Penn rods and reels out there, huge shark broke the rod holder and dragged the rod out before I could get to it (i have since upgraded my holders).  I have hooked old line but never pulled up someones gear before.

Thursday, Severn River, around 36" wide cow nosed ray from my kayak, 20# braid and 7' ugly stik.  Chartreuse plastic on 1/2 oz. jig .  Got her to the yak in around 20 minutes.  Then another 10 minutes  at the side of the yak figuring out how to unhook it as it was going beserk!  Lol.  Finally I broke the line at the jig.  What a good fight on light tackle.  Fought like something with scales.   Can't wait to get a similar sized striper.  

What do you yak guys use to boat/hold  large or toothy fish that's not a gaff?

Edited by Steve Coleman

6 hours ago, Steve Coleman said:

Thursday, Severn River, around 36" wide cow nosed ray from my kayak, 20# braid and 7' ugly stik.  Chartreuse plastic on 1/2 oz. jig .  Got her to the yak in around 20 minutes.  Then another 10 minutes  at the side of the yak figuring out how to unhook it as it was going beserk!  Lol.  Finally I broke the line at the jig.  What a good fight on light tackle.  Fought like something with scales.   Can't wait to get a similar sized striper.  

What do you yak guys use to boat/hold  large or toothy fish that's not a gaff?

Invest in a shark de-hooking tool. Or make one out of a long gaff.

Edited by surffish

On 6/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Stryper Snyper said:

Delaware is almost out of surf permits.  

Thank you for the heads up!!! I called my BIL who lives in the area and he got a pass for my truck. They expect to run out today or tomorrow at the latest.

Caught nuttin the few times I was out front this week, despite beautiful sunrises. Did pretty well back bay AIVA

they did open the full lot today if you’re bringing the family down - a little more room. 

DD0D6834-5F19-4433-814B-A01F0F066026.jpeg