ReadytoRetire

Shimano Calcutta 700B How the heck to disassemble?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have a Shimano Calcutta 700B that I bought used and has started having problems.  I have successfully disassembled, cleaned and lubed many of my Penn reels however I am stuck with this reel.  I cannot figure out how to separate the spool from the face plate (pic below).  I have searched youtube, googled, etc. but cannot figure out how to take it apart.  There is a YouTube video on disassembling a Calcutta 700 and all the it takes is loosening the three thumb screws and the spool separates. I tried that and the spool will not separate.  Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0321.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:53 AM, ReadytoRetire said:

I have a Shimano Calcutta 700B that I bought used and has started having problems.  I have successfully disassembled, cleaned and lubed many of my Penn reels however I am stuck with this reel.  I cannot figure out how to separate the spool from the face plate (pic below).  I have searched youtube, googled, etc. but cannot figure out how to take it apart.  There is a YouTube video on disassembling a Calcutta 700 and all the it takes is loosening the three thumb screws and the spool separates. I tried that and the spool will not separate.  Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0321.jpg

I plug with large swimmers using my 700-b,you have to hold the gearset and the spool and straight pull,hot water can help.

that's the only way.

the tolerances are so tight that the spool can become stuck.

HH

On utube there is a gentleman who does videos on disassembling and assembling and repair of reels.. It's called 

''  Second Chance Tackle " He has done that reel.

Thanks all, It was seized up really bad.  I pulled as hard as I could to no avail and ended up prying it off and damaged the outer plate.  I have ordered a new one and will then figure out how to transfer the bearings and lever.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:53 AM, ReadytoRetire said:

IMG_0321.jpg

how did you make out?

HH

Just saw this....

but with things I've taken apart in the past.... I am imagine click on the free spool lever a few times might dislodge the spool.

I'm thinking the spool shaft was stuck in the handle side bearing? That bearing should be suspect for corrosion I think. I have decades of experience with shimanos. Not your 700 but 400's and 200's and the 400te. That spool bearing handle side gets trashed from corrosion always first. Part of your regular maintinance is make sure you oil that bearing. Working on Shimanos is not for the average tinkerer unlike your Penns. Lots more parts! My 401te has half agian the parts of my regular 400's. make sure you check that bearing before assembly. Stick a pencil point in it rotate and if you feel any roughness it's shot. Good luck!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:41 AM, ReadytoRetire said:

Thanks all, It was seized up really bad.  I pulled as hard as I could to no avail and ended up prying it off and damaged the outer plate.  I have ordered a new one and will then figure out how to transfer the bearings and lever.

wow,mine has never stuck as bad as yours.

the bearing is on the spool and sits in the plastic plate,it's a tight fit.

I am diligent on a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the bearings of all my reels.

not sure if you are/were so that could be why.

before I leave the rig I am going to use will get the spool bearings oiled.

part of my pre-trip always.

also,make sure you didn't damage the black plastic plate?,,,,since you pryed it off.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter