MCL169

Low friction knot

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've been fishing for years with my goto Uni & double uni knots. I ran across a YouTube video of an older guy tying braid to mono with a knot that had a loop that goes through the eyes first with tags that pointed down causing minimum friction going through the eyes when casting. Anyone familiar? Can't find video and wanted to try it. 

Not sure of that knot, but I've been using the fg knot for a few years now. It's the best casting knot I've come across.

I thought it might have been on outside computer but that's a good idea. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was thinking it might have been the fg but the Alberto looks good also. Thanks guys... 

I wanted to share this. Might be an interesting alternative with supposedly science backing. The GT knot. Let me know what yall think. 

On 6/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, Draekon said:

I'm assuming your browser history was cleared because you can look there for the video you watched.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, Catch This said:

The Slim beauty works well for me.

Yes I see that slim Beauty looks very good and is very similar to the GT not that I posted. Good stuff guys thanks for the replies. 

I use the FG knot. For the best video go to Scooby’s channel on YouTube “Tackle Advisors”. For me it’s a pain too get right normally two attempts on 20# but 40 or higher it goes well.

5 hours ago, MCL169 said:

I wanted to share this. Might be an interesting alternative with supposedly science backing. The GT knot. Let me know what yall think.

Glad you found the video.  The problem with their claim is that this isn't the same knot that they use in the actual test with the IGFA. The IGFA version of the GT knot uses a double line from a Bimini knot.  Doubling a line does make a knot stronger just like the "improved FG knot."  Also, the other thing is that the tests which gave the "100%" rating is for 30lb braid and 50lb mono.  This video fails to mention that with light braid, it may not give a 100% rating.  The whole 99.5% vs 100% is BS to me. Lines will break with variance so they are just averages not absolutes. To me, the GT and PR are just tied.  I wish they listed the slim beauty knot in the IGFA and another knot test.  Maybe, the minor difference with fewer turns makes it much weaker. The important thing I learned from their test especially with the many FG versions was that skill is important with knots like the FG or even the bimini as an article stated.