LockedDrag

Knife for surf belt recommendations

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Looking for recommendations for a knife to add to my surf belt. Obviously nothing is ever rust proof when it comes to saltwater use but ima like to know what qualities and brands/models you guys recommend. I’m hoping to find something that has the following qualities if possible:

-rust-proof (like it will never rust ever) 

- sharp point

-comes with sheath

also would like to add that I only want the knife so I can bleed the fish. I don’t bleed through the gills. I stab it where  the heart is and make a cut so it bleeds out

Wenoka titanium dive knife. You can find them with pointed or blunted tips. I carry a round tip knife on my belt to use as an emergency escape tool when swimming or wading and I highly suggest anyone who spends time in the water does the same. A good serrated edge is also important in case you have to cut through heavy netting or rope you might get tangled in.

My question for you is why do you cut into the heart of the fish? I would keep the heart intact so that after you cut the gills the heart can continue to pump to push the blood out of the body. I would also think you risk puncturing other organs and possibly contaminating the meat of the fish. 

Just my 2 cents.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Wenoka titanium dive knife. You can find them with pointed or blunted tips. I carry a round tip knife on my belt to use as an emergency escape tool when swimming or wading and I highly suggest anyone who spends time in the water does the same. A good serrated edge is also important in case you have to cut through heavy netting or rope you might get tangled in.

My question for you is why do you cut into the heart of the fish? I would keep the heart intact so that after you cut the gills the heart can continue to pump to push the blood out of the body. I would also think you risk puncturing other organs and possibly contaminating the meat of the fish. 

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at that knife. Idk honestly. Wen I bleed them like that they be gushing blood like crazy like a stuck pig. Never saw much blood oozing from cutting gills so I gave up on it. I make it like that black line just after the head. 

A0B4836E-6DC1-4F86-AC0A-E7CD8751D2CE.jpeg

Edited by LockedDrag

Spyderco knives -Salt series have several folders worth considering.  They use a rust proof H-1 steel and rust proof components in the hardware. Serrated blade is reported to be the best for cutting  rope, webbing hard core use apps, not fillleting fish. Most come in a bright yellow color. Top pic was dyed from yellow to a faded green job using a blue dye.

IMG_3230.JPG

Edited by Livliner
ap

6 mins ago, troutworm said:

Crocodile Dundee Knife,now that's a knife !

He's trying to bleed a fish, not a kangaroo :naughty:

3 hours ago, triumph said:

How about 1 of these?

I had one of these but it got misplaced. It was so ****ing awesome now you can’t buy them anymore.

9 hours ago, Wampire said:

Morakinov stainless

Same.Mora Companion SS 3/4 serrated 

Hellava knife for $20 and under. 

morakniv-companion-f-serrated-orange-large.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

16 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Same.Mora Companion SS 3/4 serrated 

Hellava knife for $20 and under. 

morakniv-companion-f-serrated-orange-large.jpg

I’m liking these , might have to grab one too 

And for what it worth , I hate anything non essential on my belt . I run pliers , and d ring fixed in back to clip bag to so it don’t swing and take alil weight off shoulders and if I’m planning on keeping a fish I clip a few feet of bundled up para cord on a second d ring .. for bleeding I stick alil rapala bait knife down inside my bag .. like in there better then on belt . One less thing to worry about