New orvis clearwater

Rate this topic

gooner

Gooner

You need to cast  it yourself. It like asking someone what does a Budweiser beer taste like. It looks like you are buying on  reputation. Many guys had a high regard for the origional  Clearwater series.

Unless a rod is a total broom stick or a complete noodle most good Anglers will be able to cast and fish with it.

I suspect that you would be better off getting a std fly line line Like the Airflo Ridge Striper Lines. 

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I liked the new clearwater rod when I cast it for a few minutes - quicker than  the previous version and light. I thought it was great value.  As always the Orvis warranty is a big plus for me.

I love the Recons and have a few of them but now they have changed them and upped the price by $100 they're not such great value. I can get the Hardy Zephrus SWS for less!

Edited by JRT

Hello mike! Yes you have right most buys are from reputation stand point cause i dont have the privilage to cast it and see if it works for me...I think to opt to shooting taper lines due to limited room for backcast and less false cast( so more time the fly on the water).I currently fish with the airflo ridge striper but i need to spend less time casting and more fishing.Otherwise its an excellent line.

Edited by gooner

9 mins ago, JRT said:

I liked the new clearwater rod when I cast it for a few minutes - quicker than  the previous version and light. I thought it was great value.  As always the Orvis warranty is a big plus for me.

I love the Recons and have a few of them but now they have changed them and upped the price by $100 they're not such great value. I can get the Hardy Zephrus SWS for less!

Hello JRT! I have read somewhere that the new clearwater has different tapers in each weight. It is getting faster as the wt of the rod goes up so its sound logical to be faster than the older model who i think was medium-fast in all weights

Edited by gooner

56 mins ago, gooner said:

Hello mike! Yes you have right most buys are from reputation stand point cause i dont have the privilage to cast it and see if it works for me...I think to opt to shooting taper lines due to limited room for backcast and less false cast( so more time the fly on the water).I currently fish with the airflo ridge striper but i need to spend less time casting and more fishing.Otherwise its an excellent line.

If you can’t test cast  then Orivis is a brand I would buy blind on reputation plus I know guys who fish them and like them and understand the language they use to describe them.

Ok yes short head lines are easier to get into the air and make one back cast and one forward delivery cast.

As you improve you will find thats also mostly possible with long head lines to.

Quality ,value ,performance and warranty it is hard to beat Orvis Clear water and Recon rods. It’s a safe bet. Well actually it’s not even a gamble. Sure you will like it.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

38 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

If you can’t test cast  then Orivis is a brand I would buy blind on reputation plus I know guys who fish them and like them and understand the language they use to describe them.

Ok yes short head lines are easier to get into the air and make one back cast and one forward delivery cast.

As you improve you will find thats also mostly possible with long head lines to.

Quality ,value ,performance and warranty it is hard to beat Orvis Clear water and Recon rods. It’s a safe bet. Well actually it’s not even a gamble. Sure you will like it.

Mike

The only rod that i have a tendency to buy in this category bar clearwater was the TFO BVK(again from reputation stand point) but orvis wins due to the brand name here and the cosmetics of the rod( i didnt like the guides on the bvk). Sure long belly lines needs more skill to cast. I was needing 3 false casts to get the 40foot head out of the tip and my friend who was fishing with a shooting taper was needing 2(i retrieve the fly very near to the rod tip thats why so much false casts especially at nigth i give the fish the chance to grab fly even at the last meter). But the main reason was the backcast room. I fish most of the time from small ports and that 10feet more head is the difference between a good cast or snaging the fly at the boat on my back...

Ive got a pair of clearwater rods, a single hand 6 wt for trout and a two hand 7 wt for who knows what yet. 

Both are very good IMO, esp when finding them on a deal.  

Todays' rods are pretty solid across the board. Not at all like the days where you had better cast it before buying it.