theshadow

Waist high waders.Like'm hate'm why?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Debating on "waist highs" as a change of pace.90% of my shore excursions are on the beaches and hidden bays.Casting wise I use the knee deep to deep from many years of  fish in shallow water.Not giving up the chest waders just like hearing others thoughts and experiences of others who use them.

They are used by the guides in Montana jumping in and out to the boat. But all you need is one over the top wave and you would wish 

you had the standard wader. FisHawk

if it was your only waders I would definitely get chest high.  I have both and love the waist high for certain situations. They are more comfotable for sure. 

Small shallow brooks and rivers why not waisters  especially if much walking is needed. I doubt if I will ever buy any mind. Too much stuff already and then there is the wife’s stuff.

Mike

I have a pair of waist highs. I like them for low water summer conditions Trout fishing. Cest high for high water conditions , fresh water, Trout, Bass. Beach ,I always use chest high bootfoot waders. I like the waist high when I use them, there easy to get on and off. I feel less restrickted in them. Now I also have a pair of zippered chast waders, there the best for freshwater ff.

I have and use both depending on areas I fish but my waist high waders probably see more action throughout the year. The waist high waders are a lot more comfortable to walk long distances for me and help prevent overheating.

Most river, inlet, lake, pond, and back bay areas get the waist highs. Some beach situations also get the waist highs.

Salmon, Oswego and surrounding rivers, and salt water areas where I have to cross channels get chest waders. Also, unknown areas get the chests.

I really couldn’t imagine wearing anything but chest waders in the saltwater areas I fish. If it’s freshwater, the only time I’d consider waist high would be small, tiny brooks, but even then, I can’t imagine a situation where I wouldn’t either wet wade or it would be cold out and I’d like the additional coverage. 

I had some back in the day for surf fishing...standing in the wash you have to time the waves right and put your knees together or the waves went straight up your crotch

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a pair of hybrid Simms years ago that had a an integrated velcro belt and the top was light and folded down easily into waist highs. They were great and lasted for a good 5 years. Still have then, but the booties  untaped and leak a bit. They were great for long walks in and hot days. Like to see their like again.

Edited by bloosfisher

When I fished the outer beaches of the cape with my dad my preference was hip boots and rain bibs. That was so comfortable. Especially for those all nighters. We never went in past our shins. Mainly just to keep the spray from the surf off. 

Waist high are my normal waders; Redington and hodgman. I prefer them as they are cooler and I usually FW fish and only wade in a river to thigh height. 

Edited by mdeppen

I been looking for a pair of waist high waders myself but want them in bootfoot not stockingfoot, searched high and low and nothing so far. Breathable waist high bootfoot waders, who's got a connection?

I have Simms freestone wader pants and use them in river or backbay spots where waves aren’t a concern as well as areas I’m not wading deep. I don’t use them frequently and may actually put them up for sale on here.

22 hours ago, prican1 said:

I been looking for a pair of waist high waders myself but want them in bootfoot not stockingfoot, searched high and low and nothing so far. Breathable waist high bootfoot waders, who's got a connection?

Banded  ( duck hunting company) makes a breathable waist high boot foot.  I have the Simms G3 Guide pants and love them- wear them all the time.

banded.jpg

Edited by titleguy