23 posts in this topic

I'm weighing options for a new freshwater baitcasting reel & looking for advice from the SOL community! I was considering - 

Shimano Curado K

Shimano SLX DC

Daiwa Tatula SV TW

I don't think you can go wrong with either Daiwa or Shimano, though out of those choices the Curado K is by far the most "refined" in terms of feel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don’t overlook th Daiwa Tatula CT, an excellent reel that will feel, and perform,  every bit as well as the SV, and save you about $75.

Another reel that is in that price range, that IMO exceeds all the reels mentioned, is the Lew’s BB1 Pro Speed Spool. Has a feel of a much higher priced reel, and is a tank.

Edited by Mack26

I've never owned the Tatula SV, but based on my SV103 and Zillion SV TW...the SV spool tends to choke distance. What it does well is cast into the wind or across the wind, with minimal brain input. In calm conditions the Curado K will outbomb any SV reel, and imo any Tatula varient period. 

Here's a Zillion SV casting into 15mph wind gusting to 25. I bought it precisely for jerkbaiting in these conditions, and it works great.  

27 mins ago, Fishalicious said:

Why are you not considering Lews? For the money, I don't think there's a better reel manufacturer out there.

Yeah, I gotta agree there. I swear everytime I look at baitcasters in the store the Lews feel the best to me. 

I have 3 Curado K’s and just ordered a fourth because my old Citica died. I prefer their centrifugal brakes to mag brakes and I’ve never had a problem with any Curado.They cast great. No bad choices on your list .

I have a new Corado. It’s a nice reel, but I prefer my Lews reels. I don’t know what it is about Lews, but they feel better in my hand, and I can get them to cast and flip better than Shimanos. If I were in the market, I’d just keep adding Custom Pro Speed Spools to my arsenal. Such a great reel! 

I been looking for a new baitcaster in the same price range recently... Im generally a Shimano guy, but in this case I settled on the new Daiwa Tatula Elite... Hasn't arrived yet, but I am looking forward to putting some miles on it, and hopeful I made a good decision.  :th:

I hàve the K an the 13 Fishing Z, I like them both very much. They are both super reels and cast well. The K is quieter on retrieve and the cast, but my favorite reel now is a $40 Kastking Spartacus. I know that sounds weird but it is a well constructed reel and at about 1/4 the price of your choices, you could put a nice rod with it for the cost of a reel alone. Might want to look at one, just for kicks and giggles, their reels have improved over time and this one is pretty nice, especially at that price range. If you are set on your choices though, get the K.

Thanks for all the feedback SOL! I couldn't move away from the Shimano Curado series.

I like the feel of the reel (personal taste) and the Curado baitcaster is know as a reliable workhorse. I also know this reel will throw around the 1/2 ounce range well.  

interesting that no one is into abu Garcia anymore.  my older ambassadeurs are fantastic.  left hand wind.