fishfinder401

Choose 5

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Snake fly

Clouser (tied with palmered marabou so maybe it’s something else)

Big Yak Hair Fly 

Small bitty tan marabou thing

Some kind of popper - purely for entertainment 

Pink over white 1/2 and 1/2 with peacock herl - lots of different sizes...everything eats this fly

Something I've always called a "jiggly" (yes, it was before BobPop make "jiggy" famous) - it's a clouser with just a rabbit strip and a little pearl crystal flash - again, many sizes, everything eats....you can also palmer some cross cut rabbit strip behind the eyes if you want something with a little bigger body.

Deceiver - which is so vague it can mean anything...but personally I like olive hair/white hackle with herl on the back and pearl crystal flash...also red/white, green/yellow, yellow/yellow and black/purple.

Clouser - also super vague...same basic colors as listed above for deceivers. 

Snake fly...white. Only color I've ever done well with and I've tried tons...they just love white snake flies :)

TimS

Craft fur minnow, olive/white

"                           ",  blue/chart.

SF baitfish in midnght blitz

Peanut SF high tie white

Gurgler

These have worked for me from LMB to tarpon. 

1 hour ago, codyjorge said:

Bucktail Clouser

Synthetic Clouser

SF Deceiver

SF Surf Candy

Gurgler

What as far as performance/ environent difference is there with bucktail and synthetic clousers

Also thanks for a the opinions so far everyone... This is definitly giving me a good start for my migration of fly fishing drom fresh to saltwater...

So, as a go to 5 to start with how does this sound?

Some variations of clousers

Gurgler

Deciever/ baitfish type pattern

Surf candy

Some sort of crab fly?

17 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

What as far as performance/ environent difference is there with bucktail and synthetic clousers

Personally I mostly use bucktail for more natural colors like olive/white, blue/white and yellow/white. And use SF or Fishair for brighter flies with built in shine like chartruese/white, silver/white, etc. I do have some shrimp and crab type Clousers tied with more drab colors of craft fur, however.

That's just the way I do it based on the little success I've had. I'm sure there are much more experienced guys on here that have more tried and true approaches and systems.