Please HELP: Motor issue

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

1996 Johnson 4 Stroke 15hp 

new prop 

new water pump 
new spark plugs

carbs cleaned and new gaskets 

usually takes a few pulls to start and then I can get it to stay on however it needs throttle to stay running and when I give it throttle I have to go slow otherwise it shuts off.  It also bogs out until I get to full throttle and then it runs smooth.  Once I let off gas it dies.  

any idea what’s going on?  Attachments shows a few video clips below. 

IMG_5879.MOV

IMG_5880.MOV

IMG_5881.MOV

IMG_5882.mov

1 min ago, Flybyme said:

Who cleaned your carbs? And is the fuel good

?

A friend of mine sprayed it with carb cleaner but not with high pressure. He said the jets from what he could see did not look gunked up.  

New fuel was used but the tank and hose are old.  I just purchased a new tank and hose and I’ll test tomorrow.  Can it be that simple?  Any other diagnosis? 

5 mins ago, danta said:

have you checked filter or fuel water seperator

Update:  bought a new tank, fuel line, and fresh gas and things seem to be working great.  I did have to apply a little throttle to get it started though.  Ran great on the river for an hour testing it this afternoon. 

Actually remove the bowl for the carb and clean out any junk in there 

Chances are your old fuel line started to deteriorate and you probably have some stuff in the carb bowl

2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Actually remove the bowl for the carb and clean out any junk in there 

Chances are your old fuel line started to deteriorate and you probably have some stuff in the carb bowl

Noted will do

if you got new fuel and it runs........you have to clean the carb again and filters or you will just have the same issues......

6 hours ago, beret said:

if you got new fuel and it runs........you have to clean the carb again and filters or you will just have the same issues......

Interesting even if I ran it in the river for an hour no issues?  

1 hour ago, MagDarter said:

Interesting even if I ran it in the river for an hour no issues?  

No, you are fine.

You would know if your jets or filters were gunked up again

I would add that you should use a carb cleaner in the fuel for at least several tanks to clean up any leftover residue. I had issues with a 20hp riding mover that had starting issues and I used a heavy dose of sea foam did the trick.  I keep some in every tank now.  Glad the issue seems over.

45 mins ago, John P said:

I would add that you should use a carb cleaner in the fuel for at least several tanks to clean up any leftover residue. I had issues with a 20hp riding mover that had starting issues and I used a heavy dose of sea foam did the trick.  I keep some in every tank now.  Glad the issue seems over.

BS

If its running right, vaccuum will pull any remaining debris through as the new fuel loosens it up.

Take your yam tech class so you can change your filters before handing out advise.  SRSLY

59 mins ago, John P said:

I’ll do that thanks

13 mins ago, makorider said:

BS

If its running right, vaccuum will pull any remaining debris through as the new fuel loosens it up.

Take your yam tech class so you can change your filters before handing out advise.  SRSLY

So no need for carb cleaner?