Dark Matter OB Rod discussion.

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

Discussion / review video.

For starters...This is a very nice rod.

Is it a do all rod....absolutely not....Is it a dainty little fairy wand.....far from it.

(I never fished the Black Hole suzukis...so I don't know how they compare....I do have some high end japanese seabass rods and this is on par with them)

The video goes over the details of what it does well...and what it doesn't.   I intentionally used it outside it's intended purpose...Growing up in the 80s I primarily used salmon steelhead rods...so a fancy 10 footer is right up my alley for my local lakes and rivers...So my fondness of the rod style is sorta in my DNA....

This rod is based on the 85,000 JPY Megabass Shadow Pangea...and comes in at a hair over a tenth of an ounce lighter.

I foresee this being a home run albie rod.  It's sensitivity is an added bonus which worked well worming for worming and throwing jigs for largemouths...which translates directly to surf fluking and whatnot.  And it does that well.

I'm not shilling for the brand....But having owned hundreds of rods...I know a good one when I fish it.  And most importantly...an enjoyable one...  It's 7ounces on the button...6.5 ounces without guides...The half ounce of fuji stainless alconites consist of a modern 25 stripper down to 6 runners to the tip..

All guides are under wrapped.  

Fuji sk2 with eva bottom locking nut and a back up lock...with carbon fiber insert..small eva ball ahead of the seat.  

About the potential for a conventional build.....

I've even been having a blast fishing it with temporarily taped on guides...hoping to get a conventional version built down the road.  Due to the eva around the seat...I find I don't need a trigger seat...it fishes that comfortably..last night I put 10 hybrids on the temp setup with  a steez sv tw baitcaster and didn't even miss the 600$ 8' steez ags I normally use.  Kinda surprised me...(i fish tons of top shelf gear...and tons of entry level gear...when something isn't right..and I put in the effort to get where I'm going....it's not easy to get that "feeling" out of my head....With sign writers tape and electrical tape securing 13 guides....it felt great.

And handled hybrids up to 8lbs like it was made for it.

I'm satisfied with the build...enough to wrap and epoxy it...just need to see if I'm going to want an extra 2" in the butt for chucking and winding 2 ounce ish swimbaits...or for frogging or topwaters....

Had I not had a file corruption the video would have synced with what I was talking about and would have had some audio of the vid in the background...had hoped to be done with the edit by 3pm yesterday....then had to scramble to get it out the way it was in a couple hours after it crashed.

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Looks like a very interesting rod, at least I find I find it very appealing. Light, versatile and fun.

Under 2oz looks about right, I think would fold it with heavier loads, but I have rods for the heavier stuff.

The shorter butt also appeals. 14" might be a little short for me, 16-17 makes me happy, but 20" + is too long, I agree you dont need the wide hand spacing for leverage on THIS type of rod, it is light enough and has a lure rating that you should (clearly you are) be able to generate the speed required for good distance. There has to be a good reason Japanese Sea Bass rods of 10' and up use 15-17" butt sections.

I would end up chasing my tail for a bit WRT conventional / spinning in that I would struggle to choose which one I want;

I would probably set one up for my self that I could use both.

Since I use relatively small spinners (5k Sustain) with light braid (10-15lb) it should be an easy enough job: High framed #20 stripper guide to a 12M to an 8 or 10 and then the 6's. Line might have to climb a little from the line guide of a low pro to the #20 but it makes lno discenable difference.
I'm getting carried away as the chances of getting a blank are slim to zero....

Edited by ZAFisher

On 5/30/2020 at 4:02 PM, scoobydoo said:

Discussion / review video.

For starters...This is a very nice rod.

Is it a do all rod....absolutely not....Is it a dainty little fairy wand.....far from it.

(I never fished the Black Hole suzukis...so I don't know how they compare....I do have some high end japanese seabass rods and this is on par with them)

The video goes over the details of what it does well...and what it doesn't.   I intentionally used it outside it's intended purpose...Growing up in the 80s I primarily used salmon steelhead rods...so a fancy 10 footer is right up my alley for my local lakes and rivers...So my fondness of the rod style is sorta in my DNA....

This rod is based on the 85,000 JPY Megabass Shadow Pangea...and comes in at a hair over a tenth of an ounce lighter.

I foresee this being a home run albie rod.  It's sensitivity is an added bonus which worked well worming for worming and throwing jigs for largemouths...which translates directly to surf fluking and whatnot.  And it does that well.

I'm not shilling for the brand....But having owned hundreds of rods...I know a good one when I fish it.  And most importantly...an enjoyable one...  It's 7ounces on the button...6.5 ounces without guides...The half ounce of fuji stainless alconites consist of a modern 25 stripper down to 6 runners to the tip..

All guides are under wrapped.  

Fuji sk2 with eva bottom locking nut and a back up lock...with carbon fiber insert..small eva ball ahead of the seat.  

About the potential for a conventional build.....

I've even been having a blast fishing it with temporarily taped on guides...hoping to get a conventional version built down the road.  Due to the eva around the seat...I find I don't need a trigger seat...it fishes that comfortably..last night I put 10 hybrids on the temp setup with  a steez sv tw baitcaster and didn't even miss the 600$ 8' steez ags I normally use.  Kinda surprised me...(i fish tons of top shelf gear...and tons of entry level gear...when something isn't right..and I put in the effort to get where I'm going....it's not easy to get that "feeling" out of my head....With sign writers tape and electrical tape securing 13 guides....it felt great.

And handled hybrids up to 8lbs like it was made for it.

I'm satisfied with the build...enough to wrap and epoxy it...just need to see if I'm going to want an extra 2" in the butt for chucking and winding 2 ounce ish swimbaits...or for frogging or topwaters....

Had I not had a file corruption the video would have synced with what I was talking about and would have had some audio of the vid in the background...had hoped to be done with the edit by 3pm yesterday....then had to scramble to get it out the way it was in a couple hours after it crashed.

I have nearly bought this rod about 5 times in the past 2 days lol! Heading to the Florida East Coast for a getaway and will be doing some surf fishing there. Rod won’t get there before I get there or before I leave or it would have already happened! 

I was curious what other options would be in comparison to this rod. Typically surf fishing on the west coast throwing smaller lures (Lucky Craft Minnows and some smaller spoons and whatnot) and 1-2 trips to the Central Florida East Coast shores for vacation. I’ve got some shorter rods (7.5 and 8.5) I typically use too but I’m interested in the full 10ft with the smaller handle with a nice action on it to get some extra casting distance and less fatigue. Outside of the Diawa Labrax ($200+ more than this rod) or a Shimano Dialuna (same as the Labrax $$$wise) I couldn’t really find too many similar rods. 

Any suggestions I could find online? Are there other Japanese imported rods that are similar? All the salmon/steelhead rods I could find were much slower action/power it seemed. And most surf rods have the huge handles (I’ve already got one of those for my heavier rig fishing). Still super new to surf fishing and just trying to soak up all I can. 

Love your videos too Scoob, being one of those people who likes to know how things work and do all my ‘research’ before a purchase your channel has been very informative! 

7 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Guy just loves hearing himself talk. Scoob how dare you push Chinese made gear. Id be interested in this rod but I kinda have my eyes on the Labrax, the AGS guides intrigue me. 

Lol.. 

PM buddha he has the dailuna and his cousin has the labrax... Both awesome. 

I like buddas dailuna (it's a few powers lighter though) I like it better than my tailwalk hi tide TZ. 

Those Daiwas with the carbon fiber guides.... Even at the 600$ price tag are chinesium ;)

Tims

8 hours ago, SoCalDJ said:

Outside of the Diawa Labrax ($200+ more than this rod) or a Shimano Dialuna (same as the Labrax $$$wise) I couldn’t really find too many similar rods. 

The Dialuna can be had for around 250 - 280 shipped; a steal at that price imo. The Labrax is a tad faster action, perfect for bucktails and metals. The Dialuna is a med-fast/fast action, and in my hands more sensitive than the Labrax (though my cousin would disagree). The 96m Dialuna and the 9m Labrax both weigh a hair under 5oz. Paired with 4k Ballistic/Theory/Ci4+...these are rods you can freehand jig without having to tuck the butt anywhere against your body. For fluking, it doesn't get better than that.   

Shimano's rod lines are easier to decipher than Daiwa's - the Dialuna is an equivalent blank to the freshwater Exprides (hi power x, spiral x). The new Lunamis is the suzuki equivalent to the latest gen Poison Adrenas (spiral x core), complete with a monocoque butt. From there sky's the limit - Exsence genos, infinity...Morethan Branzino AGS etc. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

The Dialuna can be had for around 250 - 280 shipped; a steal at that price imo. The Labrax is a tad faster action, perfect for bucktails and metals. The Dialuna is a med-fast/fast action, and in my hands more sensitive than the Labrax (though my cousin would disagree). The 96m Dialuna and the 9m Labrax both weigh a hair under 5oz. Paired with 4k Ballistic/Theory/Ci4+...these are rods you can freehand jig without having to tuck the butt anywhere against your body. For fluking, it doesn't get better than that.   

Shimano's rod lines are easier to decipher than Daiwa's - the Dialuna is an equivalent blank to the freshwater Exprides (hi power x, spiral x). The new Lunamis is the suzuki equivalent to the latest gen Poison Adrenas (spiral x core), complete with a monocoque butt. From there sky's the limit - Exsence genos, infinity...Morethan Branzino AGS etc. 

Thanks for the info! Where is the best place to buy rods like this? When I search all I see is eBay listings...

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Lol.. 

PM buddha he has the dailuna and his cousin has the labrax... Both awesome. 

I like buddas dailuna (it's a few powers lighter though) I like it better than my tailwalk hi tide TZ. 

Those Daiwas with the carbon fiber guides.... Even at the 600$ price tag are chinesium ;)

I'll def PM Buddha, I assume thats his youtube vid that showcased the 2 rods.

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Thanx for chiming in, bucktail, will be primary use, tins jerkbaits, plastics mixed in . the Labrax sounded like it would fit me a little better. I just have to wait for Japan Post to start shipping to US again. No rush i burnt a hole in my pocket over the last year. 

Edited by nfnDrum

10 hours ago, SoCalDJ said:

I have nearly bought this rod about 5 times in the past 2 days lol! Heading to the Florida East Coast for a getaway and will be doing some surf fishing there. Rod won’t get there before I get there or before I leave or it would have already happened! 

I was curious what other options would be in comparison to this rod. Typically surf fishing on the west coast throwing smaller lures (Lucky Craft Minnows and some smaller spoons and whatnot) and 1-2 trips to the Central Florida East Coast shores for vacation. I’ve got some shorter rods (7.5 and 8.5) I typically use too but I’m interested in the full 10ft with the smaller handle with a nice action on it to get some extra casting distance and less fatigue. Outside of the Diawa Labrax ($200+ more than this rod) or a Shimano Dialuna (same as the Labrax $$$wise) I couldn’t really find too many similar rods. 

Any suggestions I could find online? Are there other Japanese imported rods that are similar? All the salmon/steelhead rods I could find were much slower action/power it seemed. And most surf rods have the huge handles (I’ve already got one of those for my heavier rig fishing). Still super new to surf fishing and just trying to soak up all I can. 

Love your videos too Scoob, being one of those people who likes to know how things work and do all my ‘research’ before a purchase your channel has been very informative! 

Glad you enjoy em....

and are able to gain something from the time spent watching them.

The company tailwalk makes the Hi Tide series....(their customer service blows..I bought direct from the owner of the company...had two rods that were warped....1 year to get replacement tips......was dealing with the owner)

Shimano has many more japanese seabass rods than just the Dailuna...some get real pricey.
I think Major Craft has a jdm seabass lineup.

One thing I've learned about JDM rods....if they have a chart with rod actions...showing bent rods...They're accurate..very accurate which makes online rod shopping pretty cool and easy.

Tims

11 hours ago, Draekon said:

I have the Labrax AGS 106M. It may be more sensitive with fishing, but I would need to try comparing them again. I didn't end out using that rod a lot because I am paranoid about breaking them. They seem fragile.

They seem fragile but these newer blanks are strong. You have use and then there is abuse. I'm meticulous and don't abuse my gear. All my gear has reel and rod covers. Allot more damage occurs when transporting then when actually fishing. Watching a guy lean his gear against rocks is like nails on a chalk board.

Edited by nfnDrum