jjp5

Boat fly fishing rod recommendations

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have been fly fishing for striper in the Boston Harbor from a center console with an Opal Surf 7/8. It is a great rod but a bit long.  Have been thinking about a short single hand. What are your thoughts? I am considering the short 10w Scott Heliply. 

The norm with us catching stripers, bluefish, albies....... 8 wgt.. 9 feet.

My clients do an eight hour boat trip. They can cast an eight weight all day without getting tired or heavy in the hand.

No problems either fighting fish.

10 wt short stix is a great rod. I like using a 10 wt line. I’m not a great caster so if there’s any wind this helps power through it. Plus the added backbone gets the fish in real quick and back in the water fast. It can be a little more tiring to cast but I prefer to make less/more deliberate casts.

Yeah, that sounds like a pain. Prob any 9 footer would be a drastic improvement and versatile. The 7’6” short stix might be too niche of a rod. Very fun rod though.

I’m also a fan of the Gloomis Shortstix 7’6”. I have the 8/9 wt and use it for kayak or boat. You can cast surprisingly far for a short rod.

An 11' rod has no place on a boat.  Stick to a 9' rod.  I use anything from a 8wt-10wt depending on conditions, species, etc.  I have cast the Loomis short stix and once you get used to it, it's fun to fish. It's more like casting a spinning rod once you get the stroke down.,Not sure why is wasn't more popular??

1 hour ago, dcobbett said:

Scott's 10 weight Heliply is one of the rods I use in my boat and it works fine (20" open boat).

Caught a near 100lb tarpon on one of these in Cuba. Great fishing fighting rod. Pity they were only 3 piece.

Orvis used to make the Recon in a 7'10"...I have one in a 10wt that I use in my kayak and like it.  There were a couple at the Orvis Outlet near me over the winter, so some may still be around...otherwise, you could probably find one used.

Going from an 11' rod though, any quality 9' rod will probably be nicer to cast on the boat.

I personally like an 8' rod.  I fish with a 10wt Bass Pro Stage 1 Heat and a Sage Bass II small mouth (8wtish).  I have several 9' 9wt's as well.  I prefer the 8' rods.  I can cast plenty far and it is easier to land the fish on my boat.  Especially without help.  I'm currently building two 8' 8wt Black Diamond rods.  Hope to use them next week on the cape.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, jjp5 said:

I have been fly fishing for striper in the Boston Harbor from a center console with an Opal Surf 7/8. It is a great rod but a bit long.  Have been thinking about a short single hand. What are your thoughts? I am considering the short 10w Scott Heliply. 

Scott makes a fine rod! They do have 8'8'' that are popular. I don't mind the 9 footer but I am tall. 10 weight is plenty to horse a striper. Going from a 7 weight to a 10 weight is a learning curve if this will be new to you. My best advice try before you buy. You might prefer the 9 weight. Bears Den has some Scotts. I beat the snot out of these rods. I have taken 80lb tarpon on my 8 weight and bone fish all day. I will never part with my STS.  Heliply is even better.