stuffguy612

Help Selecting a Rod and Reel

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, new poster here. I've been fishing for striper in the Portland Maine area for the last few years with decent success, but now I think I'm ready to upgrade my gear. I've been using some cheap Cabelas stuff I bought a few years ago, and now I would like to get some good quality brand name gear, but not something that breaks the bank. I mostly fish off the rocks on the coast which can get pretty slippery, so I don't really want to be lugging around a big rod. I've been using an 8', so I'm thinking something in that range, maybe a little bigger. As for the reel, I was wondering if you guys think I should go with a 4000 or 5000 series. I don't need a fully sealed reel because I don't plan on getting into the water much, but something that can take splashes is important. 

Hope this gives enough context as to what I plan to be doing. Thanks in advance for your help!

I would looked at the 9’ 2” Lamiglas GSB skinner rod. They should have them at Kittery. If you stay dry that and a Shimano Saragossa would be a good combo. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

I would looked at the 9’ 2” Lamiglas GSB skinner rod. They should have them at Kittery. If you stay dry that and a Shimano Saragossa would be a good combo. 

Thanks for the advice!

Get a star paraflex and a Daiwa BG 5000 or whatever size you need. The paraflex has a lifetime warranty. Honestly, you really don’t need more than a BG for striper fishing. It handles striped bass as well as any $200+ reel.

If your only buying one Reel (for now) I would consider spending a few more dollars and buy the Penn Slammer III 4500 over they Spinfisher - got a couple of each models and the Slammer is smoother and can take splashes (and even being dropped) very well.  OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

A black hole Striper 9”6 and a Shimano Stradic Fl can be had in your budget bracket. This setup will be super light but would still have the grit to get the job done if you hook into a nice fish.

Edited by Striper Samurai