Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 1 - June 7

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

The fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your stories.  

This is the third year with this approach. Last year there was great participation. This year should be no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know. We are in this together.  

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today for a better successful fishing trip tomorrow.  

More of us are fishing now, since Phase 1 has been implemented and warmer weather. State Parks are open but continue to restrict our fishing with opening and closure times.

Parking bands are still in effect at many of the popular fishing locations. It's now June, but the colder weather has kept fishing going on throughout the day. Now to find calm and favorable winds. Bass, bluefish, even a few weakfish (squeteague) have shown in the upper bay. I myself haven't caught a weakfish in over 15 years, so that's a surprise that some are around.

Now that there are more reports, we'll be back on a weekly schedule.

Keeper bass have shown up. Hitting the same place it hits first every year. Scup as well had been hot after a 2 week late start. Same place. Peak high and outgoing only. Bass only coming out to play at night. 

Fished last pm, waited for the tide to turn after dark and was met with eel grass, eel grass, and more eel grass.  Few schoolies if could get a clean retrieve.  Im sure there were more fish out there but the weeds made it virtually impossible.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

Fished last pm, waited for the tide to turn after dark and was met with eel grass, eel grass, and more eel grass.  Few schoolies if could get a clean retrieve.  Im sure there were more fish out there but the weeds made it virtually impossible.

Sounds like you been going to a very popular breachwaylol

6:00 am to 8:00am today fished the first two hours of falling tide around Prudence in 3 to 9 feet of water and got 8 stripers and 5 blues on a mix of popular plugs. biggest striper was 27 inches.

bay blew up these last few days for me... .....too much damn salad in the water, but herring and bunker galore. 

Fished south of block Tuesday not much life in the area compared to the last time out there. Got into some solid stripers around block though to salvage the trip

40" bass caught in the upper bay last night in shallow water.  My buddy was the one who measured it so I know it was legit.  Chunk pogie.  Must have sucked to let that fish go.

Another bud that lives in Warren reports pogies are in with some big bass on them.

I'm hitting the shore tomorrow night.  Rough seas and wind are keeping the boat at home for now.

Tight lines.

Fished rocky outfront spot.  Was quiet till right about dark when tide started moving again, got a flurry of fish and then it all died when the damn moon came out.  Hit a backwater spot on my way home, fish were blowing up everywhere popping on bait.  They would not touch a thing, threw the whole bag at them with only 1 fish and a few half hearted hits to show for it.

21 hours ago, beertherty said:

40" bass caught in the upper bay last night in shallow water.  My buddy was the one who measured it so I know it was legit.  Chunk pogie.  Must have sucked to let that fish go.

Another bud that lives in Warren reports pogies are in with some big bass on them.

I'm hitting the shore tomorrow night.  Rough seas and wind are keeping the boat at home for now.

Tight lines.

Sucks to let it go but that fish does more good staying in the breeding pool then dead.

58 mins ago, Kooky said:

Fished rocky outfront spot.  Was quiet till right about dark when tide started moving again, got a flurry of fish and then it all died when the damn moon came out.  Hit a backwater spot on my way home, fish were blowing up everywhere popping on bait.  They would not touch a thing, threw the whole bag at them with only 1 fish and a few half hearted hits to show for it.

My report from last night would be a carbon copy of yours. Frustrating night but I could have been this guy

20200604_195204.jpg

58 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

My report from last night would be a carbon copy of yours. Frustrating night but I could have been this guy

20200604_195204.jpg

No kidding.  Minding his own business, just boating down the road, and he gets pulled over.  Man that sucks.

We fish today! Chris-crossed the upper bay this morning catching 14 schoolies of which three were doubles. Tide was perfect with a near moon tide at 8:15am. Drizzle all morning with a strong 15 mph south wind. Once again the weatherman had the predictions wrong. We never noted any bird or bait activity. These random fish we now pick up are all on shore structure in mostly rocky areas. Once in a while you get a few marks on the echo finder to help morale. What a contrast in temperature from yesterday of 80's to today 60's. We did catch our 1st bluefish today. This was the best of the day. Fished from 6:15am to 11:00am. Not many boats out today.

IMG_2098.JPG