jonA

Making mussels

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Was making mussels fra Diavlo tonight and some of the mussels had chipped edges.. not cracked open.. but enough to notice.

Know  to toss em if they don’t close but where do these fall in? They were shut tight but figured better safe than sorry and discarded. 

I saw this off to the side under topic and had to reply. I cannot answer your question but I moved away from NJ in 1987 and MAN do I miss me some mussels...

I hope you realize how darned lucky you are because I've lived in Hawaii, Seattle, Thousand Oaks, Payson, AZ, Scottsdale, AZ, and now Texass, and once you drive over the Delaware river, no one knows **** about food.

Have a dozen for me!

I only eat the ones that open from being cooked. 

I can generally smell a questionable mussel. And there always seems to be -at least-one bad one in every batch.

Chipped is okay. If they don't close, toss. If they don't open after cooking, toss them.

9 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

Have a dozen for me!

A dozen? How about a pound!

Had some this past week, 2 1/2 pounds between the two of us at $2.99./lb.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Chipped is okay. If they don't close, toss. If they don't open after cooking, toss them.

Agree. Chipped is fine. 

I LOVE mussels.  My favorite way. 

Saute some shallots in butter.  Add mussels. Saute a bit. Add some white wine. Cover.  Steam till they open.  Take out the mussels. Reduce wine 2/3rds. Add some cream bring to simmer.  And turn off. Swirl in a pad of butter and pour over the mussels.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Shows you how long I've been away... :cry:

I live in Texas - grew up in NJ. You have no idea how bad I miss the food from back home. I could write a couple of thousand words here.

A few weeks ago I made meatballs (organic bison, organic pork, organic lamb) and sauce exactly the way my Italian NJ Grandmother used to make. Its an all day thing - at least 6-hours simmering, starting off with San Marzano tomatoes through the manual food mill (thing with the hand crank and screen - it is the only way), brown the meatballs in the stainless steel pot you cook the sauce in, put it all in the pot and simmer on very low, all day. Stir.

Offered some to a very skeptical almost suspicious neighbor. Put two meatballs in an aluminum tin, added some sauce, some shaved Parmesan cheese, then some provolone over the top, baked it 45-minutes, and gave it to her.

I NEVER received a compliment like that one, in my life.

I miss the food from back home so bad... If I could afford, I would FedEx a bagel, just to have a real one.

Edited by The Zen Master

9 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

If I could afford, I would FedEx a bagel, just to have a real one.

Having grown up in NJ, I know the feeling..... ;)

People up here in New England will tell me that a particular bagel or pizza is fantastic, and I :laugh: at them, for they know not thier ignorance.......but hey, I guess ya can't miss what you never had. ;)

10 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Having grown up in NJ, I know the feeling..... ;)

People up here in New England will tell me that a particular bagel or pizza is fantastic, and I :laugh: at them, for they know not thier ignorance.......but hey, I guess ya can't miss what you never had. ;)

:deadhorse:

TC , chipped is ok. If the mussel is opened it may be dead. Pinch the mussel closed , if it stays shut , good to go. If you want to check for freshness , put them in a sink full of water. If they float , they are either dead or empty. Caution, if left in tap water longer than 15 minutes they will die. I like the native N.E. mussels a lot better than the P.E.I. mussels . Hope your fra Diavlo came out great. Thanks.