AH Perry

Surf and Boat Fishing, 2 very different things

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

So not apologizing for my post in the reports thread (which I never like derailing) but I was admittedly a little heavy handed.  It is just that surf fishing and boat fishing are so different mainly when it comes to stripers.  A large bass (30lb.+) caught in the surf is a major accomplishment and a truly large bass (50lb.+) is the accomplishment of a lifetime which takes a certain amount of luck and sometimes a very substantial and lengthy commitment. The same fish caught from a boat are still accomplishments of sorts for sure, but a very different accomplishment.  It's just easier from a boat! A post of large stripers in a mainly surf fishing forum is going to get some "heavy handed" responses.  So no disrespect meant to all fellow fisherman.  Hey, if ya like fishing your ok with me but if your a "dyed in the wool", serious surf fisherman, I know some things about you. Like, you have an appreciation for self contemplation, the wonders of nature and "that last man on earth feeling"* which I personally relish.  It is so easy to be romantic and wax poetic about surf fishing and the surf fishing experiences that I and many have had because they are surreal.  I don't believe these things can be said in the  same way when boat fishing for stripers. That is not to say that being out on a boat doesn't have it's surreal moments, I have no doubt nature and the deep blue sea provide many. I guess I can sum it up by saying surf fisherman are a proud (and a little crazy) bunch.

 

*Frank Daignault - "Striper Surf"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing is my biggest bass (48.3#) was caught from the surf.  My biggest boat fish was about 40#, from kayak 30#.   

 

Three distinctly ways of fishing, requiring different approaches.  Each with its own unique set of challenges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny you mention this. I also feel this way about guys who fish a night. I always see these awesome night bite pics and get jealous. Fishing in the day and at night in the spring at the bay are just two different things.  Honestly I don’t know how you guys do it with a job and kids. Plus my wife would kill me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

No disrespect taken AH Perry. Im on a boat half the time, surf fish the other time. I get what you are saying but one things for sure, the boat has its challenges.  Different presentations required, fast currents, no currents, rough conditions, difficulty locating fish, difficulty getting fish to eat. Went out today actually marked a few...all of em had lockjaw. One thing i love about this site, people speak of their strikeouts as well as there hits. Lots of strikeouts on a boat despite these charters putting out this "lights out" noise. 

 

That being said, absolutely nothing beats a quality fish out of the surf. Nothing better. Plus, its just a better connection with nature wading in water, making casts.  

Edited by joefishnj21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

It’s funny you mention this. I also feel this way about guys who fish a night. I always see these awesome night bite pics and get jealous. Fishing in the day and at night in the spring at the bay are just two different things.  Honestly I don’t know how you guys do it with a job and kids. Plus my wife would kill me.

I can’t say anything about the kids or wife but the job is half the reason I go out at night. Can’t seem to find any time during the day. Just go out all night and pound coffe to make it through work the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AH Perry said:

So not apologizing for my post in the reports thread (which I never like derailing) but I was admittedly a little heavy handed.  It is just that surf fishing and boat fishing are so different mainly when it comes to stripers.  A large bass (30lb.+) caught in the surf is a major accomplishment and a truly large bass (50lb.+) is the accomplishment of a lifetime which takes a certain amount of luck and sometimes a very substantial and lengthy commitment. The same fish caught from a boat are still accomplishments of sorts for sure, but a very different accomplishment.  It's just easier from a boat! A post of large stripers in a mainly surf fishing forum is going to get some "heavy handed" responses.  So no disrespect meant to all fellow fisherman.  Hey, if ya like fishing your ok with me but if your a "dyed in the wool", serious surf fisherman, I know some things about you. Like, you have an appreciation for self contemplation, the wonders of nature and "that last man on earth feeling"* which I personally relish.  It is so easy to be romantic and wax poetic about surf fishing and the surf fishing experiences that I and many have had because they are surreal.  I don't believe these things can be said in the  same way when boat fishing for stripers. That is not to say that being out on a boat doesn't have it's surreal moments, I have no doubt nature and the deep blue sea provide many. I guess I can sum it up by saying surf fisherman are a proud (and a little crazy) bunch.

 

*Frank Daignault - "Striper Surf"

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes surf fisherman are just a little jealous. Although we would never admit it especially in a public forum. We can be greedy because if the large bass are caught from a boat we cant get them. We read that all the  time about being mugged.....

I have caught big fish from the surf including a 50# on an eel from an inlet jetty. 40's, 30's, 20's, and schoolies and love it.

And the same from a boat......I LOVE the whole jetty, surf fishing experience. Although eeling bass from a boat wether at the Shrewsbury rocks or some reefs in Montauk or where ever has always been a fun thing for me because the strike comes to the hand and I in charge so to speak......

Trolling on the other hand...SUCKS......"F" that crap. Never liked it.

Fluking, and other bottom fishing from a boat is fun also because the strike comes to my hand and I have to finesse them.

I think it comes down to dollars and cents for most of us. Not all of us though.

Sometimes I wonder if I could afford a boat, fuel, electronics, rods, reels, slip, and all the work involved....would I ever buy one and abandon my love for the surf fishing..........:moon: 

 

Eeeeels.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

It’s funny you mention this. I also feel this way about guys who fish a night. I always see these awesome night bite pics and get jealous. Fishing in the day and at night in the spring at the bay are just two different things.  Honestly I don’t know how you guys do it with a job and kids. Plus my wife would kill me.

Agreed, day and night surf two different worlds.  The need to fish in the dark is a necessity for stripers IMO.  I do have some regrets about the lengths I went to in order to fish the dark tides. It used to be over an hour travel one way for me up until 2 years ago which is when I moved 5 minutes from the surf.  I can say that my surf fishing contributed to my 24 yr marriage ending. Although, in all honestly, it would have ended even if I was a stay at home husband. The main regrets are with my children. Although I am still very close with both to this day and have very strong relationships with them, I feel it took away from fathering them if I'm being completely honest.  I've always burnt the candle at both ends trying to get and give the most out of life.  Surf fishing just always gave me what I need.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Eeeeels said:

Nice PRS SE in the  background.....I sold mine. Could never get it right. Tuning issues and the like........

Crazy, I love it too but have the same issues!! Weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed the nut, had bridge work done, frets leveled, electronics work. It was never consistent. I used to get so frustrated so I sold it. American made are a different story though if you can afford one. 

I picked up a used MIM Nashville deluxe tele. My first one. OMG.....With the right amp its killer......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AH Perry said:

Agreed, day and night surf two different worlds.  The need to fish in the dark is a necessity for stripers IMO.  I do have some regrets about the lengths I went to in order to fish the dark tides. It used to be over an hour travel one way for me up until 2 years ago which is when I moved 5 minutes from the surf.  I can say that my surf fishing contributed to my 24 yr marriage ending. Although, in all honestly, it would have ended even if I was a stay at home husband. The main regrets are with my children. Although I am still very close with both to this day and have very strong relationships with them, I feel it took away from fathering them if I'm being completely honest.  I've always burnt the candle at both ends trying to get and give the most out of life.  Surf fishing just always gave me what I need.  

I only go fishing with my seven-year-old son I honestly don’t have fun fishing alone. You can definitely catch during the day but mostly schoolies. We did catch a couple keepers during the day but I don’t keep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.