Jubert93

Cape Cod Canal setup questions! advice?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Hello SOL! I am relatively new to the forums, but loving it so far.
I live in central Connecticut and have been wanting to make the 2.5hr drive to the canal. I was all but ready, until I ran into some local fisherman and started talking. I did some research online and wanted to know your opinions on this.
I have never been to canal. 
I currently own a Van Staal VSX 150 with 30# braid with a 9' ODM D.N.A. rod. I love the way this casts lures in 1.25-1.50 oz range. 
I also have a more budget reel, Penn Spinfisher VI 5500.

I want to introduce my brother to striper fishing so I wanted him to go.
1) Is my VSX150 going to be good enough or will I need to get a 250? The fisherman I spoke to told me hes been spooled out before from hooking a big fish in the strong currents (but he wasn't specifically using the vsx150, but a similarly sized reel).
2) Both of the fisherman I spoke to recently stated I was going to need a rod that can launch 2-6 oz lures (again due to current). 4-5oz jigs or 3-6oz topwater lures.
3) I assume I don't need a long rod (10' max) since distance isn't the issue as much as a study heavy rod. What do you guys think of this?

4) Any additional information is greatly appreciated. Lure of choice? SP minnow, plugs, etc...

They guided you in the right direction as for a setup. Do yourself a favor and grab some sebile magic swimmers for lures and for topwater grab something you can get distance with

4 mins ago, pl978 said:

They guided you in the right direction as for a setup. Do yourself a favor and grab some sebile magic swimmers for lures and for topwater grab something you can get distance with

I just watched a video on a guy who swears by the sebile magic swimmers 4oz. Thank you!
Regarding the magic swimmers, apparently they cast like trash, so I assume a longer rod would help for that? 11' footer?
For top water lures, what oz would you recommend? 3-4?

7 mins ago, Jubert93 said:

I just watched a video on a guy who swears by the sebile magic swimmers 4oz. Thank you!
Regarding the magic swimmers, apparently they cast like trash, so I assume a longer rod would help for that? 11' footer?

I prefer a 11ft rod but 10ft works just fine. I always throw topwater around 3oz

Why spend 5 hours of driving time going to the canal when you’re already near the CT River? There’s probably more and bigger fish in the river than the canal right now. 

1 hour ago, Jubert93 said:

An 11 ft rod can really cast but so many peps fishing the ditch that good casting spots not always easy to find.. A 10 ft rod makes things easier casting wise......especially down the east end.

I would stay away from fishing VS reels at the ditch. Diawa and Shimano offer some way better choices at a fraction of the cost.

1 hour ago, Vaporizor said:

Welcome to the group....here are a few items you might consider , just some ppe ya know

You forgot the go pro mount for the ballistic hemet. How else ya gonna get internet famous?

3 hours ago, Jubert93 said:

Hello SOL! I am relatively new to the forums, but loving it so far.
I live in central Connecticut and have been wanting to make the 2.5hr drive to the canal. I was all but ready, until I ran into some local fisherman and started talking. I did some research online and wanted to know your opinions on this.
I have never been to canal. 
I currently own a Van Staal VSX 150 with 30# braid with a 9' ODM D.N.A. rod. I love the way this casts lures in 1.25-1.50 oz range. 
I also have a more budget reel, Penn Spinfisher VI 5500.

I want to introduce my brother to striper fishing so I wanted him to go.
1) Is my VSX150 going to be good enough or will I need to get a 250? The fisherman I spoke to told me hes been spooled out before from hooking a big fish in the strong currents (but he wasn't specifically using the vsx150, but a similarly sized reel).
2) Both of the fisherman I spoke to recently stated I was going to need a rod that can launch 2-6 oz lures (again due to current). 4-5oz jigs or 3-6oz topwater lures.
3) I assume I don't need a long rod (10' max) since distance isn't the issue as much as a study heavy rod. What do you guys think of this?

4) Any additional information is greatly appreciated. Lure of choice? SP minnow, plugs, etc...

It's a pity that there are no guides legally authorized to operate along the shore of the CCC.  Nothing informs any novice better than knowledgeable local help.

Go a couple of times with what you've got, and see how it copes. The rod sounds light, but don't spend money until you need to (not that I ever took my advice when I was younger and exciteable ...)

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It's a pity that there are no guides legally authorized to operate along the shore of the CCC.  Nothing informs any novice better than knowledgeable local help.

Go a couple of times with what you've got, and see how it copes. The rod sounds light, but don't spend money until you need to (not that I ever took my advice when I was younger and exciteable ...)

I do see your point but going up to the drive to find out my gear is too weak would also be a terrible feeling. I could skip a bigger but want to make sure I have a proper rod that cqncast decently and handle a big fish if that happens. I'd hate myself if I use my lighter rod and it snapped on me. 

OK.  There is a consensus here that a 10' rod will let you perch in a few more places than a longer rod, so that's the way to go. As for specific rods, I will defer to the regulars here.

Do not attempt to pick up any eel that's in a coil, and rattling.

I was down there today,  no fish,  dudes with fill battle rattle 3 rods on bikes really to go, with barely a fish in sight. Just sipping my coffee,  kinda amazed.