fishweewee

Aimpoint on a Glock

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Been waiting to take the plunge on this.

Because there is no standardized mounting system with pistol mounted red dot optics (like there is for lights), you basically have to get your slide milled by a machinist, get a dedicated slide from a third party, or get an optic ready platform like the Glock MOS system.

The weak point in most of these systems is the screws as well as mounting plates which provide an additional point of failure.

The optics have caught up, and it seems the most bulletproof one is the one picture below.

The Glock MOS is a nifty platform to try different optics (using adaptor plates) without making permanent alterations.

This is a better design than the Trijicon RMR - you don't have to remove the unit to change the battery, and the mounting system is a chunky rail cut.

This is actually going to go on another gun (sent the slide in for milling) but in the meantime I'm gonna test it out.

For a skillion damn good reasons I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum, red dots on pistols are going to change the way we aim and shoot handguns, just like red dot optics have done so for carbines.

VEfKHA7.jpg

One day I'd like to go down this road when funds allow me to. 

My eyesight is getting worse and worse. Especially @ night. Then I have to factor in medications that have blurred vision side effects.  

Right now I rely on my snubby with a CT lasergrip for HD. It's the only handgun I have that I can make hits without my glasses on. 

I've got a couple of Glocks with mini red dots and like them.   My 41 has the Insight sight and is very accurate.  The only draw back is accessing the power button. Fine with a bare hand but with a glove on I don't think I could operate it.  I stripped 1 torx screw so can't even take it off.     fullsizeoutput_195.jpeg.6bbe377aaadb20362f10b4fc69979fb7.jpeg

The 17 has a Shields on it and is a lot of fun to shoot.  It is instant on once you remove the dust cover.

I am putting a holosun on my Glock 34. I’ve been using red dots for years and I love them. Red dots are a lot better for older eyes. 

17 hours ago, fishweewee said:

, red dots on pistols are going to change the way we aim and shoot handguns, just like red dot optics have done so for carbines.

Couldnt agree more.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, 55555s said:

Couldnt agree more.

But it will require a change in the way we learn to teach and learn handgun fundamentals.

Why would you want a red dot on a handgun? I have used them on a nuzzle loader years ago, did not seem like it would be user friendly.

43 mins ago, b4loran said:

Why would you want a red dot on a handgun? I have used them on a nuzzle loader years ago, did not seem like it would be user friendly.

Once you shoot one you will know it makes things extremely fast with no need for sight alignment.   

13 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Once you shoot one you will know it makes things extremely fast with no need for sight alignment.   

There has to be a sight alignment to see the dot correctly, I would think. I have never used one on a hand gun so I could be talking out my ass, but on a rifle it did not seem it would be user friendly on a pistol. It was years ago, so I don't know the tech advances. 

Where ever the red dot is is where the bullet goes if sighted in correctly.  No need for trying to align with irons.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, b4loran said:

-faster on target

-more accurate on target all else equal

-makes longer shots (100 yards for example) a little easier

-superior to irons in low light

-superior to irons in no light (the wake up call for me was learning to use them with night vision, holy $hit)

-superior to irons on moving targets

-superior to irons on moving targets, while you are on the move

-got bad eyes and need glasses and contacts?  need a bedside gun?  no problems.

these are all advantages.

however, shooters need to re-learn pistol technique to quickly acquire the red dot.

there are techniques to address this. 

Edited by fishweewee

9 hours ago, fishweewee said:

however, shooters need to re-learn pistol technique to quickly acquire the red dot.

there are techniques to address this. 

Guess the however is what I need to learn. I am a machinist so guess I will have to give it some more investigation. I will look into how they line up quickly.