tomkaz

An "afterlife" for "dead" Hogy Protails

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I use more than a few Protails and have my share that have been munched by Florida bluefish or Spanish mackerel or get zapped by marauding JCs. From bit-off tails to bodies stripped to the core, I have a growing collection of "dead" Hogies. 

The tail-less bodies can be fished if the fish are in a eating mood, but not nearly as effective. So they are mostly paperweights right now. 

Has anyone come up with a use for these "jigs"? Given the over-molded nature of the Hogy construction, the uses are limited, unless someone knows of a 6-8" tube lure? 

E22DAA59-46B1-482F-8329-2960FF7A5541_1_105_c.jpeg.29be8a62e2c0a35e14fe210c4995cef7.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg.4872c6b949e738e87fabcd0ee5fb9105.jpeg

This one of the main reasons why I Don't buy these and just get a pack of soft plastic swim-baits and slap it on a jig-head. Most soft plastic swim-baits are just a one and done use and can get expensive if you invest into the quality ones such as your Hogies.

Yup.

Pick the eyes out and save.

Gather up all the rubber of each color and put in a zippy bag.

Save all the weighted hooks.

Make a 2 part mold of a whole brand new lure in the sizes you like best.

Place the torn up rubber in a Pyrex cup and nuke that bitch in a cheap microwave that you will not ever use for food in a well ventilated area.

Pour said liquefied rubber into the mold that has your weight hooks in.   Let cool for 5-10 minutes.

De-mold and add eyes again.

Go fish them to the blues again.

Repeat as needed.

Your welcome!!!!!!  :laugh:

Looks like they could become a squid jig if you paint/add eyes, and throw on a silicone skirt.

5 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Yup.

Pick the eyes out and save.

Gather up all the rubber of each color and put in a zippy bag.

Save all the weighted hooks.

Make a 2 part mold of a whole brand new lure in the sizes you like best.

Place the torn up rubber in a Pyrex cup and nuke that bitch in a cheap microwave that you will not ever use for food in a well ventilated area.

Pour said liquefied rubber into the mold that has your weight hooks in.   Let cool for 5-10 minutes.

De-mold and add eyes again.

Go fish them to the blues again.

Repeat as needed.

Your welcome!!!!!!  :laugh:

Yeah, there is a reason I pay $5-9 each for these rather than DIY such things.....

But thanks for the thought :howdy:

3 mins ago, nateD said:

Looks like they could become a squid jig if you paint/add eyes, and throw on a silicone skirt.

Squid skirt would be the SW equivalent to a bass tube lure. I actually have those, just never considered it. Hmmmmm.

11 mins ago, ACFishing said:

This one of the main reasons why I Don't buy these and just get a pack of soft plastic swim-baits and slap it on a jig-head. Most soft plastic swim-baits are just a one and done use and can get expensive if you invest into the quality ones such as your Hogies.

I have been going in that direction with the larger baits using NoLiveBaitNeeded brand 4 and 5 inch baits. Great action and an attractive head.

D7AC920F-63B2-4C2F-AE61-F46B0C4FD3F4_077  NLBN_Jighead-108_Greenback_5_cover_720x.jpg?v=1568793128

The only issue is they do not make a 3" version, though they are prototyping one right now. And at this time of year, when mullet are not plentiful, gamefish focus on smaller baits like silversides, scaled sardines, etc. I use the small 1-1.5oz Hogy for those, as well as some Gambler, Spooltek, etc. The advantage of the Hogy 1, 1.24 and 1.5 ounce Pro Tails is they are small in profile but you can cast them a mile. And the barbarian hook can help when you could hook up a 40" snook, 30# JC or 100# tarpon, all of which I have done with these smaller baits.  

8 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Could probably zip tie a length of surgical tubing over the head and fish them for a while longer

That's exactly what a Nordic eel is - a lead head over which a bit of surgical tube is attached. They were enormously popular during the years of weakfish abundance on Long Island. They worked well for bluefish, and bass .... the lure most often recommended for barracuda is a bit of surgical tube, it is not? Really the same thing.

Get spring locks for the hooks, use them as weighted swimbait hooks. You'll have more than you know what to do with eventually, but I can help with that if you like :naughty:

46 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Squid skirt would be the SW equivalent to a bass tube lure. I actually have those, just never considered it. Hmmmmm.

that would be good too, this is more what I was thinking, with some plastic or pork/strip bait on the back.

IMG_1024.jpeg.4872c6b949e738e87fabcd0ee5fb9105.jpeg

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That's exactly what a Nordic eel is - a lead head over which a bit of surgical tube is attached. They were enormously popular during the years of weakfish abundance on Long Island. They worked well for bluefish, and bass .... the lure most often recommended for barracuda is a bit of surgical tube, it is not? Really the same thing.

yes, surg tubing but with swivels on both ends and structured to have a built-in twist so that they corkscrew on retrieve. 

26 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Get spring locks for the hooks, use them as weighted swimbait hooks. You'll have more than you know what to do with eventually, but I can help with that if you like :naughty:

Chris, I am shocked! An accomplished shoprat and DIYer like yourself does not pour his own. 

But seriously, can you through a 1-2ounce jig with your 14' TH fly rod? 

And the Nordic eel is immobile  - quite true. The comparison is limited. But if the tube is split for much of its' length, there'll  be some flutter. Crank in at speed, as seems to be recommended for barracuda as a matter of course, and see if they bite.

Thinking of your description (bolded type), that's what I'd call a banana lure.  I haven't seen one in casting sizes for years, though they're still around in long sizes for trollers. Sharpies used to bake a coiled length of rubber tube in an empty coffee can before rigging it with an egg sinker in front, a hook in the back, and wire in between. If the tube spun in the water it was garbage. If it swam with an "S" motion, it was golden.

24 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Chris, I am shocked! An accomplished shoprat and DIYer like yourself does not pour his own. 

But seriously, can you through a 1-2ounce jig with your 14' TH fly rod? 

Not yet Tom, just not yet...

No, I can't throw them on a fly rod. I'd pair them with large plastics and fish them for tarpon/snook/Jack's/whatever wants to eat.