PSegnatelli

Is there a place for Noob, Noob 2.0 or dumb questions?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Is there a specific place that basic fishing questions should go? Gear setups, bait fishing, and general Noobery. 

I've been fishing all my life, but I will ask some basic stuff at times. 

I would say ask in the region you want fish. because most people here will give you answers from their experience and every state is different. 

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

I saw that.   Didnt read all of it but looked at the first couple pages.  

But say I want to ask about how u use a bucktail or needlefish plug. Or does anyone use a swivel to connect their braid to the mono. 

Stuff some long time fishermen may take for granted. But someone that has spent the last 20years working 60-80hr work weeks and fishing 3-5days a year make feel unsure about asking.  

I would start by using the search feature of the site. There are literally hundreds of relevant threads that should be of help. Otherwise I would throw them in the main forum.

We are all born ignorant, don't worry about it.

There is one little hazing routine on which we insist. You must post a video of yourself crawling naked around your house with 50 lb.s of cement on your back. Once that's done, you're golden and ask away.

I've never had faith in the needle fish till a few years ago. Just reel it nice and slow and you'll be surprised at what happens. It gives no feed back so it takes some getting used to. Some lures you can feel wiggling or pulsing at the end of your line not this guy. It makes it uncomfortable for people because they are so used to getting feedback from whatever is on the end of the line. I'd fish it for few minutes and switch it out with something I was more comfortable using. It took fishing with someone who was consistently catching with one while I was getting skunked for me to give it's fair chance and it paid off big time. Now I don't fish without one.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

There is one little hazing routine on which we insist. You must post a video of yourself crawling naked around your house with 50 lb.s of cement on your back. Once that's done, you're golden and ask away.

I've payed my site dues every month and still haven't received my secret SOL decoder ring yet. I want a refund :mad:

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I would start by using the search feature of the site. There are literally hundreds of relevant threads that should be of help. Otherwise I would throw them in the main forum.

Will try. And thank u

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Cool, I've done alot worse for alot less!!

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

I've never had faith in the needle fish till a few years ago. Just reel it nice and slow and you'll be surprised at what happens. It gives no feed back so it takes some getting used to. Some lures you can feel wiggling or pulsing at the end of your line not this guy. It makes it uncomfortable for people because they are so used to getting feedback from whatever is on the end of the line. I'd fish it for few minutes and switch it out with something I was more comfortable using. It took fishing with someone who was consistently catching with one while I was getting skunked for me to give it's fair chance and it paid off big time. Now I don't fish without one.

Wow!  Thanks!  That was a an attempt at a generic example I was trying to make but u nailed it!  I have one and never use it cause I don't feel confident with it. 

Eta.  What does BST user mean?  I see under me it says pre-bst. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've payed my site dues every month and still haven't received my secret SOL decoder ring yet. I want a refund :mad:

Send me a few plugs and ill make sure you get the basic SOL member benefit suite

To the OP, the search feature on this site has 20 years of information from some of the best Striped Bass fisherman of our time. You could spend the next few years going through the old threads and learn a lot from it. Try typing in 'bucktail' to the search bar and go back to the older posts and youll see a lot of genuine responses from hardcore anglers. 

If you cant find what youre looking for there are plenty of guys here that would be more than willing to help answer the dumbest of questions.

7 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

To the OP, the search feature on this site has 20 years of information from some of the best Striped Bass fisherman of our time. You could spend the next few years going through the old threads and learn a lot from it. Try typing in 'bucktail' to the search bar and go back to the older posts and youll see a lot of genuine responses from hardcore anglers. 

If you cant find what youre looking for there are plenty of guys here that would be more than willing to help answer the dumbest of questions.

Awesome Good stuff.  Thank u. 

23 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Will try. And thank u

Cool, I've done alot worse for alot less!!

Wow!  Thanks!  That was a an attempt at a generic example I was trying to make but u nailed it!  I have one and never use it cause I don't feel confident with it. 

Eta.  What does BST user mean?  I see under me it says pre-bst. 

BST is the buy, sell, trade forum on here. Once you have enough posts and have been a contributing member here for long enough you'll be able to use it.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I missed that when I joined. Do I need to do more for the lack of. I can sunscreen my bottom to give a sheen while filming.

The sticky note thread at the top is full of great info to start. Then like others said ask the locals. You came to the right place.