Danco Premio vs. Van Staal Pliers

Rate this topic

Fishy4335

IMO probably the same as Van Staal pliers in terms of durability, Cuts the same, Both Titanium. The only difference I see is that the Danco ones reduced the amount of titanium making it cheaper (150-190$) instead of Van Staal's (300-360$). I'd say that the Danco's are probably more worth it as it's half the price of Staal's but some would say that the Staal's are probably more reliable.

I have the premio... The reason I chose the premio over VS was the warranty from Danco is far superior than VS.  You have a cutter issue, it doesn't cost you 60$ for new cutters, they just send them.

They are light and seem to work.  @ASrod - has a thread where he torked them.  I haven't had any issues as of yet.

a 10$ klein pliers from HD work just as good, just heavy. 

3 hours ago, Bwt570 said:

I think people spending $350 on pliers to cut line and unhook bluefish sums up the lack of critical thinking skills present in the public today. 

It might be, still I have a pair of the Danco's but want to pick up a VS pair because I like nice toys. Either way you'll be fine.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

I have the premio... The reason I chose the premio over VS was the warranty from Danco is far superior than VS.  You have a cutter issue, it doesn't cost you 60$ for new cutters, they just send them.

They are light and seem to work.  @ASrod - has a thread where he torked them.  I haven't had any issues as of yet.

a 10$ klein pliers from HD work just as good, just heavy. 

I’ve heard a few more stories like mine where people had to have them replaced. I’m extremely happy with my Sargents, don’t see any reason to “upgrade” as I feel like strength wise it doesn’t get any better than these.

Edited by ASrod

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

Sargents are nice. I just wouldn't wade or swim with them. They'll lock up real quick. Rinse em off after each use too.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 mins ago, ASrod said:

I’ve heard a few more stories like mine where people had to have them replaced. I’m extremely happy with my Sargents, don’t see any reason to “upgrade” as I feel like strength wise it doesn’t get any better than these.

I just went to the truck and checked mine after two seasons.. I have a slight torque it looks like.  (See picture)

The VS's don't torque at all?  Im going to call danco and see what they say, but they might not be open because of virus

IMG_5805.JPG

2 mins ago, Goldy said:

I just went to the truck and checked mine after two seasons.. I have a slight torque it looks like.  (See picture)

The VS's don't torque at all?  Im going to call danco and see what they say, but they might not be open because of virus

IMG_5805.JPG

Mine wouldn’t even open and close without giving them a good amount of pressure, I bent a ****** jighead and heard a snap while doing so. I’m not asking for free ****, but the only way I’d ever own another pair is if they were given to me. If they fail I’d put them on blast and if they lasted a season I’d buy another pair.

Edited by ASrod

20 mins ago, ASrod said:

Mine wouldn’t even open and close without giving them a good amount of pressure, I bent a ****** jighead and heard a snap while doing so. I’m not asking for free ****, but the only way I’d ever own another pair is if they were given to me. If they fail I’d put them on blast and if they lasted a season I’d buy another pair.

So, let me ask you your opinion, do you consider my pliers torqued?  

Just now, Goldy said:

So, let me ask you your opinion, do you consider my pliers torqued?  

I’d consider them warped from use. I got mine in the mail, thought they were a little gritty out of the packaging so I hit them with some oil. Didn’t fix the issue so I figured I’d give them a little stress test before I take them out in the field, they failed.

I would contact Danco because yours look like they’re ready to go next time you muscle a hook out of a fish.