Stripers Swirling but Not Biting

Rate this topic

I’ve seen this several times including this morning.  Stripers are at the top of the water and seem to be still in place and as we troll by slowly the fish swirl as if we surprised them.

Then when casting, as soon as the lure hits the water several more swirls can be seen, as if the lure surprised the fish.

We marked dozens of fish of varying size from teens to 30+” fish.  We try all sorts of plugs in different colors, sizes, and depth but only catch a few.

Has anyone encountered this type of behavior before?  I’m guessing the fish are sleeping or resting but want to get some input.  If anyone has ideas for how to catch them when they’re doing this, it would be appreciated.

Just now, BirdsAreWorking said:

I’ve seen this several times including this morning.  Stripers are at the top of the water and seem to be still in place and as we troll by slowly the fish swirl as if we surprised them.

Then when casting, as soon as the lure hits the water several more swirls can be seen, as if the lure surprised the fish.

We marked dozens of fish of varying size from teens to 30+” fish.  We try all sorts of plugs in different colors, sizes, and depth but only catch a few.

Has anyone encountered this type of behavior before?  I’m guessing the fish are sleeping or resting but want to get some input.  If anyone has ideas for how to catch them when they’re doing this, it would be appreciated.

you did surprise them.  

You caught a few fish that for some reason arent on the bite.  Id call that an okee dokee day

Stop fishing in daylight.  that should be SOP for stripers.

Hope that helped.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

cinder worms ... had that last week, the fish were there I would slowly fish a spook and they would occasionally blast it out of the water(tail slap) or they would follow it the whole way in a turn off , I could actually saw a few (the flash of their flanks as they turned away) I caught 4 that day, yes in day time 

must have had twenty follows and dropped a few. I finally was able to catch a few with a floating popper, pop pop let it sit, the hit came while it lay there motionless.

The cinder worm hatch at least around NYC is normally a night time thing or at least dusk.

They were not actively feeding on worms or was there a hatch going on , but they can become very fickle during the height of the worm hatch (around the spring moons).

I tried bucktails, sp minnows I even dragged my pets (aka rigged eel) thru them. Only took that floating

popper.

Anyways lets get back to Bad Man Orange :fire:

I Fish therefore I Lie

Last evening I was fishing in a local marsh and a lot of fish were flashing under my flies, following but not eating as well. I put on about a 4" craft fur fly, chartreuse and blue with a tiny bit of flash and fished it deeper and really slow, wound up with 10 or 12 after that but no real size. None of the flies I usually use at that spot could buy me a strike though.