Dominic Iadicicco

Penn Fathom II needs some smaller sizes

18 posts in this topic

This is just a wish of mine but thought it would be an interesting conversation for anyone that loves conventional reels.

I would love to see Penn make some smaller fathom II's say a 10  and 8 size.  These reels would be close to the same drag power and 1 to 2.5 oz lighter for use on the new types of light gigging rods.  Maybe a large Low Profile fathom model with and without clickers.    What would you like to see?

Dom

I am in total agreement on a size 10.  I have four 15's and two 12's all for specific rods. I have one very distinct requirement for a smaller, i.e. size 10 reel.

A smaller lighter version of this model reel would be perfect for a light Jigging rod I have.  I am looking at an Okuma Komodo it's not perfect but it is strong and light enough.  That will probably be the direction I move.  

Dom

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Dominic Iadicicco said:

Does anyone know what the Fathom II 8xnsd is?  

In the new Fathoms, the FTH15XNLD2 will be the same as the FTH25NLD2, but narrower [same size as the current TRQ15XNLD2]. "Leftys" will be available in this size.

The FTH10XNLD will be the same as the FTH15LD, but narrower.

The FTHII8XNSD will be the same as the FTHII12SD, but narrower, and no mag-cast control.

All are targeting the "Slow-Pitch Jigging" sector, but judging by the excellent reception they are getting, anglers everywhere will be putting them to a variety of different uses. 

Edited by Tunanorth

Speaking of "Leftys", there will be left-handed versions in all sizes of the new Squall II non-levelwind star drags [12, 15, 15CS, 25N, 30, and 40], along with all sizes of the Fathom and Squall "Low-Profiles" [though not in every gear ratio].

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/20/2020 at 10:54 AM, Dominic Iadicicco said:

Again to heavy for Slow pitch Jigging rods and no cast controls at all.

Kinda not needed.

Dom

No cast control needed on Slow-Pitch.

True that the 15XNLD2 is on the bigger edge of what's been customary for most SP applications, but when the fish are big and/or tight to structure, you may wish you had something even bigger. It will push the envelope for what's possible to catch with SP, and will also be used for many non-SP applications. 

The two smaller ones are perfect size for SP, though if you want something even lighter [or a Lefty], the Low-Profiles will fit that bill nicely. 

Edited by Tunanorth