Recruitkim

Boating - can I fish under the gil hodges aka marine parkway bridge?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Friend of mine just got access to a small boat and we're thinking of  fishing underneath the bridge near the pillars and stuff.

I don't know anything about boating rules or regulations about fishing near bridges and stuff so please give me some common sense (which is not always so common)

Anything I should know so I don't get myself hurt or arrested?

Edited by Recruitkim

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stay out of the channel if you're fishing, that's for navigation purposes only.  Anchor far enough away from the channel that you don't pose a threat to passing boats.  Don't tie up to a piling; the law enforcement folks tend to frown on it these days, although we did it all the time years ago.  Be careful where you anchor; I don't know that bridge, but many some have underwater cables running parallel to the bridges, and you don't want to snag one.  Beware of underwater riprap for the same reasons.  Remember that if you're in a small boat, you're vulnerable to wakes.  If that is a bridge that sees commercial traffic, tugboats, barges, etc. could pose a risk both from wakes and from collision; tugboats' views are often blocked by the barge.  Even if there isn't any barge traffic, party boats, idiots in speeding Sea Rays, and other vessels could accidently cause enough wake to swamp you.  Otherwise, check the shoreline in daylight to see whether there are any signs prohibiting anchoring near bridges, etc.  Don't let yourself be distracted; always maintain a good lookout.  Remember that if you have an anchor over, your ability to maneuver to avoid a problem will be limited; you might want to attach a ball to your anchor line so that you can dump it quickly and retrieve it later if you see a hazardous situation developing.

Beyond that, the advice to take a boater safety course is sound.  A boating safety certificate is required if you were born on or after May 1, 1996; it will be required of everyone by 2025.  You can get the information on that at https://www.boaterexam.com/usa/newyork/faq.aspx .  

Edited by CWitek

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Since 9-11 you can't fish under any bridge...

That's not realldy the case.  They generally don't let you tie up to the bridges any more, but you can anchor or drift and fish them, at least in most places.  It's possible that some localities might have more restrictive rules, but in most of the state, folks are fishing under the bridges all of the time.  The Robert Moses Bridge passes right next to the Fire Island Coast Guard Station, and the Coast Guard folks don't say a word to the many boats, including a good part of the Captree party boat fleet, who fish under the bridges throughout the season.

There are barges, hourly ferries ( the are flying ), a DEP Barge a few times a day ( a large boat ), numerous party boats and all sorts of boats also creating a substantial wake. The channel is not your friend. Other locations are OK but watch the wakes. Lots of boats under or nearly under all the time. Cables, rip rap etc applies under the MPB.