Kent I

Joe Paiva...what are they?

13 posts in this topic

I’ve seen quite a few Joe Paiva plugs on FB, and always wondered whether they were freeze dried fish coated with epoxy, cast in a mild made from a real fish, hand carved, scanned and RPed, but never thought much about it until somebody advertised one recently for a truest eye-popping price. Nice paint job, but nothing I couldn’t have carved in an hour or two. I’m baffled. Anybody know anything about this? What are they really?

38 mins ago, Kent I said:

I’ve seen quite a few Joe Paiva plugs on FB, and always wondered whether they were freeze dried fish coated with epoxy, cast in a mild made from a real fish, hand carved, scanned and RPed, but never thought much about it until somebody advertised one recently for a truest eye-popping price. Nice paint job, but nothing I couldn’t have carved in an hour or two. I’m baffled. Anybody know anything about this? What are they really?

Believed hand carved.  Then a mold made.  Then hand paints all of the detail.   

I didn’t care for the mackerel swimmer in the bst , it looked kind of distorted shape , it might just have been the angle of the photo. If he is hand painting the details like on this herring then he is an incredible artist.

D40BD474-C815-4F4F-A016-8A7CA4075276.jpeg

23 mins ago, Kent I said:

So he painted a vent on this plug? Very realistic.

yeah I thought the attention to detail was above and beyond. That being said I thought these were resin and not wood but I could be wrong

My thoughts have been going more to taxidermy, but I’ve never seen one in person, and certainly haven’t cut one up to see what’s inside. 

2 hours ago, Kent I said:

My thoughts have been going more to taxidermy, but I’ve never seen one in person, and certainly haven’t cut one up to see what’s inside. 

His taxidermy is second to none.  The most amazing work.  

3 hours ago, MorningWood said:

yeah I thought the attention to detail was above and beyond. That being said I thought these were resin and not wood but I could be wrong

Pretty sure they are a resin 

That's why I had asked in the wtb thread. I grew up in a taxidermy shop. To me my first thought was a resin cast of a fish or something else. So are they hand carved or resin casted?

Joe's work is nothing short of amazing. The man is a detail orientated artist, kudos bigtime. He makes the ONLY plug I cast other than my own. Good people and a friend. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Joe's building is second to none. He does make wooden baits, but the one's your referring to are wood carved, then after mold  cast in resin. The realism of his paint n layering is incredible. He has done a handful of fiberglass mounts that look better than the real thing... 

Screenshot_20210112-013836_Facebook.jpg

Edited by maddshad