Milty27

Plugging for Bluefin Tuna

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello all !!  Im looking at doing a spinning trip casting for small-Med sized BFT in the general NY area.  From what I know Aug-Sept is a good time.  Anyone have tips or pointers on timing ?  Charters ?  BFT are new to me, but I have a decent amount of experience plugging For GT's and YFT and other species.  Thanks in Advance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not sure if you're talking about from a boat or the surf. If you mean from the surf..The problem is permits. You need a permit and it's assigned to the vessel. I don't know how this works for catch and release but I can't imagine that if you you actually landed one from the surf that it would survive a release. Several years back someone landed a small one from the surf, he kept it and posted pictures..he was eventually busted.

Disregard...I reread and see you mean from a boat.

Edited by lazzyone

If you want a charter, contact Capt. John McMurray, One More Cast Charters.  It's all that he does during the summer, and he's got it down pat.  And you won't have to wait until August.  He'll be on those fish in June.  In fact, he already had a 70-incher this month.

50 mins ago, Milty27 said:

I tried, but I have no idea how to send a message.  Im new here

Yeah, for some reason there’s a period of time you need to wait before you can message...seems ridiculous.

We’re looking for another person to fill a charter on John’s boat...it’s exactly what you’re looking for. Some years there’s a great yft bite late July-Sept in addition to the bft’s.

42 mins ago, CWitek said:

If you want a charter, contact Capt. John McMurray, One More Cast Charters.  It's all that he does during the summer, and he's got it down pat.  And you won't have to wait until August.  He'll be on those fish in June.  In fact, he already had a 70-incher this month.

Thanks for that, I follow him on IG, a friend went with him last year.  Prices are steep, I would need to get a group.  I live in Canada, so it wont be anytime soon as the border is still closed.  

18 mins ago, triumph19 said:

Yeah, for some reason there’s a period of time you need to wait before you can message...seems ridiculous.

We’re looking for another person to fill a charter on John’s boat...it’s exactly what you’re looking for. Some years there’s a great yft bite late July-Sept in addition to the bft’s.

I live in Canada and the border is still closed.  If you are looking for someone later this year Aug/Sept let me know.  No big deal for me to drive the 8-10 hours with a weeks notice.  

18 mins ago, Milty27 said:

Thanks for that, I follow him on IG, a friend went with him last year.  Prices are steep, I would need to get a group.  I live in Canada, so it wont be anytime soon as the border is still closed.  

Yes, the price is steep, but generally, you get what you pay for.  He runs a fast 36-footer, and if he has to run 60-80 miles to put you on fish, he does.  Folks who charge less can't do that and still make money, even at today's fuel prices.

Let's hope the borders can open soon.  I'm thinking of heading up to your country, maybe for brook trout, maybe for salmon.