MJOS617

Bucktails and Nail Polish

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As I was contemplating what I was doing wrong on my third consecutive fish-less trip, I got to thinking of a recent touch up of some bucktails in my plug bag. They were scuffed from dragging bottom (should I expect this? Got them from Bass Pro. I understand I want to avoid bottom I want to avoid bottom but it was immediately fatal). So having read that people use clear nail polish for plug repair and closing cut rings, figured colored nail polish was ok. Patched the scuffs with white polish and then covered again with clear polish. Did I mess up? Is there any reason to think that the faint nail polish scent would put off the fish on those lures or worse get into the bag and taint the rest of the lures? 

Thoughts appreciated. 

342D7DB9-8C1C-41CA-8F6B-509AF7B9527D.jpeg

Edited by MJOS617

The most beat to **** bucktails are the first ones I throw. I never touch them up unless the hair falls out. Then I’m stripping them with a razor blade and rewrapping fresh hair on to them if the hooks are still good. And you want to keep the jig off the bottom, but you don’t want it high up either.

It will have no effect. Been using nail polish on flys for years no effect. The smell will be gone after a few cast.

Edited by oysterbreath

Also, this is what a lot of my bucktails look like after a couple trips in a rocky area. If you’re fixated on keeping it the same way it was when you opened the package then you’re probably fishing the wrong lure :laugh: 

9BF6AFAF-5EC5-4EA2-B4AE-7F7BF5DE309E.jpeg

I finish every bucktail and teaser that I tie with nail polish , 25 years later and I still do , even catch a fish or two. Lures are tools to be used and abused.

If you are really concerned (dont be) you can sit them out in the sun for a few hours and they will off-gas, thereby reducing/removing any odor.  Or rub a fish on them, and thats that.

Really, everything already posted nails it. 

In the years that I've been tying flies or jigs, I've used various paints & coatings for applying color or sealing threads. 

This type of question is often asked on fly tying sites because a lot of folks use nail polish on the heads of flies. Dyes used to color materials and preservatives used on materials or pesticides would likely have some smell to them, even if we can't detect it. 

The fact is, there'a a lot of things that have some odor to it that hardly anyone ever asked about. Those plastic shads or grubs you might use, the plastisol is petroleum based. Same with the silicone skirts used on various lures, they often have a petroleum smell to them when new. 

Many of the paints used on jigs have various solvents in them. Do they completely dissipate? We may not be able to smell it, but doesn't mean there's not an odor left that some other animals can detect. 

You touch the lures & other tackle don't you, and your odor gets on everything you touch.

The fact is, the odors we smell in air, isn't necessarily what these fish we chase can smell in water. Their sense of smell isn't the same as our's, and a material would have to be soluble in the water, otherwise, they can't possibly "smell" them.

They can smell much smaller amounts of dissolved odors, like a dog or fox can smell things that we can't, but again it has to be dissolved & soluble. 

I know that many times, I've coated heads on jigs with vinyl paints and used them the next day, with new plastics, and many times coated the heads on flies with nail polish and was still able to catch fish on them. To me, that tells me it's a non-issue. 

As long as the solvents in any of these coatings has sufficient time to dry, there should never be an issue. 

Edited by Jim H

I use the dollar store stuff on plastic, lead, and wood for touch up and sometimes entire repaints.  My wife would not be happy if she had her good nail polish used on lures. My nail polish touch ups are followed with a couple coats of clear coat. 

If ur not loosing one or 2 a night ur not fishing them the right way  U really want them so close the bottom that they will get hung up on occasion 

It doesn't matter. 

When they'd get beat up, I'd dip them in house paint.

Ceiling flat white, gloss enamel trim paint....

fish them with the paint half chipped off and fished plain lead as well.

Tied my own buck tail and always used HH hard as nails on the threads.

Fish.

Have fun.

Don't worry.

Be happy.

......all good advice here, but most important is coatings prevent exposure to lead. I paint all my lead and it keeps my tackle box lead-free. 

Tight lines and save those brain cells.