Justinj

Heavy leader question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

When using 50-80lb mono leader after I tie a 4-5 turn clinch knot to the swivel the line below the knot gets curled up a bit. Anyone else have this issue? Never had this issue with lighter line. I’m using big game or ande mono leader material. Seems to happen worse with the ande 

Edited by Justinj

I tie a lot of musky leaders out of 80 and up mono.  I always use the uni knot for line that heavy.  Sometimes my clinch would unravel if it didn't fold down on itself.  The folding down is the problem.  To tie it correctly you really need to tighten it up away from the hook and slide it down.  That is where your curl comes from.  The uni knot can do the same thing but with it you don't have to make it incredibly tight until the knot is pulled all the way down to your hook or swivel.   

I moisten the knot,  tighten most of the way down but not enough to crimp your line, slide down to eye, and then tighten all the way. 

7 mins ago, Killroy said:

I tie a lot of musky leaders out of 80 and up mono.  I always use the uni knot for line that heavy.  Sometimes my clinch would unravel if it didn't fold down on itself.  The folding down is the problem.  To tie it correctly you really need to tighten it up away from the hook and slide it down.  That is where your curl comes from.  The uni knot can do the same thing but with it you don't have to make it incredibly tight until the knot is pulled all the way down to your hook or swivel.   

I moisten the knot,  tighten most of the way down but not enough to crimp your line, slide down to eye, and then tighten all the way. 

I don’t mind the curl was just worried about the line weakening 

I use a 4 or 5 turn San Diego jam for up to #60 and then go to a 3 turn uni knot for #80 or up. Make sure you have a really solid anchor for when you make that type of knot. Seems to help a lot. 

1 hour ago, Justinj said:

When using 50-80lb mono leader after I tie a 4-5 turn clinch knot to the swivel the line below the knot gets curled up a bit. Anyone else have this issue? Never had this issue with lighter line. I’m using big game or ande mono leader material. Seems to happen worse with the ande 

I loose the swivel and do an Alberto or GT braid to leader,  then a palimar leader to TA clip

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use the Palomar knot for all my leaders. There's no line curling if done right and I've never had one of my knots fail, even against sharks or big bass in the rocks.

Edited by Sandbar1