jvisconti

Wantagh Park fishing pier

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anybody ever fish off the Wantagh Park pier? I'm not sure if you are allowed to fish from the beach to the east of the park so I think I might give it a shot this weekend. Going to be bringing my girlfriend with me so I'm thinking I'd set her up for some blowfish/little fluke/sea robins while I look for bass and blues. Any tips/recommendations? 

Thanks!

Hey J .. I reside in Wantagh\Seaford area, so that is my local park.

IMO that is a late Summer snapper spot, otherwise you would be hard pressed to find anything there.

I have aggressively fluke and soaked bait  from there with little to show for it ( typically with my family , since it is family and parking friendly ).

The beach area is "NO FISHING" , however the times that I have gone... I seem to always forget those signs were there  :howdy:

There are better spots right in your back yard (Massapequa )

That sucks to hear. Trying to find a good spot to take her fishing from shore while ALSO having a shot at catching something seems pretty hard lol. I don't think she'd be too interested in hucking bait from the beach with me so I figured a pier would be our best bet. Maybe Florence Ave beach or one of the little parks by Massapequa Cove would be my best bet. Or I'll just have her bring a beach chair and a cooler while I catch some fish lmao. 

Yup lived few blocks from it for like 20 years . You might rake a fluke but pickings will be slim ..  take alil ride to Long Beach pier right off the loop . Maybe ya get some love there . Still a long shot but you gots a better chance 

Back in the day choppers and cows would ambush bunker down by the bridge at the end of the park. Not allowed down there any more. 

Agree with wire the pier down by Reynolds or even 

Jones would be a better choice.

2 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Back in the day choppers and cows would ambush bunker down by the bridge at the end of the park. Not allowed down there any more. 

Agree with wire the pier down by Reynolds or even 

Jones would be a better choice.

Man did they ever .. there was one spot I had there you could drift a darter like 200 yards out and crawl it back .. first big fish spot for me in my youth 

I forgot about the pier in Long Beach, went there once as a kid and had a good time. I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks guys! 

10 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Old timer told me there were knocked down telephone poles that (as kids) they would walk across the creek to get to that bridge.

I've found my way to that bridge ( through other means like parachuting in ).

Alas, there was no harem of women waiting.

J - I will 3rd the shout out for the Long Beach pier ( far from a spot burn ).

HOWEVER.... Not sure how you and your girl feel about "social distancing", that pier can become shoulder to shoulder during the week even at 6am,  I cannot imagine what a weekend would be like.

Better say your "Bucket Brigade" prayers before you go.